Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Empty

Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 10:01 am

Anyone confirm that this is spider mite damage? At first I thought it was sunburn, but now I'm not so sure. The area is sunken and is a very pale yellow. It appeared on two sections of this very nice, large TBM. Please help!!! Arggggg!!!

Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! 100_0928

Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! 100_0927

Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Untitled-1detailcopy
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for the good photos. Good News I don't think it's mite damage.

Looks like sun burn. If it were mites I think you could probably see them on that last shot. I did notice on the weather report yesterday the UV index was extreme.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 4:22 pm

do you water during the day?

Quote :
Looks like sun burn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm

That's a bit of relief! Well a big relief actually. Yeah I generally water in the day Kada mate, why?

The reason it looks wet is that I blasted it with water, hoping I might blast any mites away haha Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 8:37 pm

yeah looks like sunburn to me... no need to worry. Smile put it in the shade and of course don't wet the plant if you water in full sun in the middle of the day in hot weather. even better, water in late afternoon or early morning, or at night if you can see.
even if it was spider mite damage i wouldn't be overly concerned if it happened to my lone TBM coz these things seem to be pretty tough, lol she'll be right mate.. though i am rather biased seeing as i officially don't like these things ever since one their utterly lethal spines speared underneath my thumbnail pretty deep, drew blood and hurt like hell for weeks. hence the specimen in question has since been de-spined.Twisted Evil if ya gonna get a monstrose get a FRED or LSM/totem pole (Lophocereus schottii monstrose), way cooler plants IMO.Wink

Last edited by lewis on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 9:18 pm

it looks very much like what I have on a loph -

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/pests-diseases-id-control-prevention-f8/another-kind-of-rot-yay-t460.htm

I'm not sure what it is yet but isn't sunburn. (under fluros) I haven't seen any mites yet either.

I had some TBM that I bought with same kind of that pitting - I repotted them and gave TLC - the new growth looks healthy and the pitting didn't spread. Smile

good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 1:44 am

trigonus wrote:
That's a bit of relief! Well a big relief actually. Yeah I generally water in the day Kada mate, why?

The reason it looks wet is that I blasted it with water, hoping I might blast any mites away haha Laughing

a water drop is the same as a lens. when you get water on your plants skin under the sun, you end up with a lot of things like you pic above...my bet is thats what happened. and the newer growth seems even more sensitive to sun, so i will bet my wifes she collection thats the cause. i water at night now, because i have many plants with skin damage from watering during the day.

good news, its not a big deal if corrected, just ugly. but TBM's tend to end up scarred as heck anyway.....they look like the war vets of cacti affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!   Spider mites? I truly hope not!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Spider mites? I truly hope not!!!
Page 1 of 1