Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Empty

Please tell me these aren't spider mites

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:43 am

I found some tiny red/orange critters crawling on some of my grafts. I really hope they aren't those red spider mites, but if they are, how do I treat them??

Here's a couple of photos of some of the seedling damage:

Please tell me these aren't spider mites Img_1510

This Mam Teresae was growing flat out, then has slowed, and is not looking too healthy now.

Please tell me these aren't spider mites Img_1512

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
IX
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 pm

I would say it looks like it. Maybe some orange rot in the first pic too.

I would zap the lot with confidor and cross my fingers.

The usual treatment for red spider mite is to increase humidity - the little buggers hate it - however, with the possible beginnings of orange rot humidity might well prove fatal.

Good luck mate!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

I'll go to Bunnings tomorrow and see if they have any Confidor. If they don't have it, then I will go to some of the other local nurseries. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

If Bunnings is of no value - safeway carries Yates Rose Gun. Same active ingredient.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Ahhh, good to know. I managed to catch one of the little buggers in a piece of spider web on one of my grafted plants, and I got a few photos of it. I'll post them after dinner (I'm cooking right now).
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:16 pm

I had luck in exterminating a spidermite problem with Yates Folimat aerosol spray, should be available from either bunnings or flowerpower.

Yates folimat
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Here's one of the horrid little b******s. Like I said, I caught it on a strand of spiderweb and got my camera out fast.

Please tell me these aren't spider mites Red_sp10
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Might add here since I was the one to mention Yates Folimat that whatever you do don't ever use it on a Lophocereus scottii monstrose, I did yesterday and this is the result.

Please tell me these aren't spider mites DSC00109

No
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Ouch! That going to recover?
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Time will tell I guess.
A member of another forum suspects it might not be the spray itself but that I rather gave it a freezer burn by holding the aerosol can to close while I sprayed. Guess it's as plausible as the chemical itself doing the damage.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Ahhh yeah, that is a distinct possibility. I am trying a few kinds of chems on my cacti to see which will end up working and won't. If you could update the post in a while though that would be a great help too.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 pm

SnowFella,

I believe all you have done is taken off the natural "glaucous" substance that forms on the skin. If you take your finger and rub a section of the plant that has the blue/shimmer look you will find it will eventually come off and you will be left with green skin. I don't think you have caused any long lasting damage.

HN
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm

IXOXI,

I have found Mamm Teresae is a spider mite magnet ! and will attract the buggers like nothing else. I have had constant issues with Teresae, Saboae and Leuthyi all attracting and being eaten by mites.

HN
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Problem there though is that it's the green skin that's the healthy colour, the white/grey/blue is the damaged area.
Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home.
Please tell me these aren't spider mites Dsc00262pg
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:08 am

It does look like spider mite damage, but the one you took a pic of would appear to be a bit too big for a spider mite...they're very small to the point they look like a tiny orange spec, your can't make out legs or anything. The one you photographed is still likely a mite, but not the type damaging your plant... I think I've read that the bigger red/orange ones are actually good guys and can kill the real rsm...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me these aren't spider mites   Please tell me these aren't spider mites Empty

Back to top Go down

Please tell me these aren't spider mites
Page 1 of 1