Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Empty

Why Do You Grow Cacti ???

Go down 
+8
Vicki
shortly
MichaelCactus
slim6y
Gracie
trigonus
lewis
parrotsheaven
12 posters
AuthorMessage
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 pm

It has always interested me in why people grow cacti

I know that when I first got interested it was the spines. The more unusual the more I had to have it.

If I really had to pick out why I would have to say the hairier/woolier the better. Oh and the spines of course. Then there are the flowers...........some will dwarf a plant. I am also hooked on taking photos of them (in case you hadn't noticed Razz )

Like these I took on Sunday. Who would believe two different pilosocereus would be flowering in winter
Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Piloso10Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Piloso11

But why do you grow them would love to hear it
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm

hmm.
coz they're cool Question
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:54 pm

You got to do better than that Wink
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 8:00 pm

COZ THEY ARE TOTALLY AWESOME!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Quote :
COZ THEY ARE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

Oh yeah!!! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 pm

our collection started when we made friends with a couple who were moving to QLD , we visisted their garden and fell in love with the agaves and cactus they had in their collection. we duely bought a few. then an amazing thing happened, we found we wanted more and more so the search was on. soon others heard that we were looking and conntacted us so the collection has quickly grown in size, ,,some we have are too big for ease of portability so now Im keen to grow smaller growing specimens but so far no special species. Have a cactus database that Im adding to almost daily as I find more details thanks to this forum and others. hubby has erected the polyhouse and the garden for the larger plants but the interest in the plants has waned some what. Im studying their cultural requirements and trying to get the best results from the plants I have. Some of them are weathered and so the new growth will give me a fresh looking plant and the mature ones will be stock plants for flowers and seeds. The seeds I have grown from our first attempt are interesting to compare with the same seedlings started with heat. looking to get a heat cord this week to get more seeds underway. and of course , less water to try and find to keep the plants alive and well through our severe water restrictions. Cheers. Lois
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 7:40 pm

I first started growing cacti back in the good ol days - I lived in a rural district in a drought prone Canterbury (South Island of NZ) and my landlord had some beautiful echinopsis growing... He told me they grow easy from cuttings so why not do that?

I loved indoor plants at the time - as Canterbury, although drought prone is also frost prone - I lived where it dropped to negative 8 on a beautiful star filled night. Your breath would freeze and sink to your feet.

Although negative 8 isn't that bad - it's still too cold for most outdoor cacti. Though, the echinopsis survived it all!

I started with a cutting and grew it in my sunny window... It flowered!

I bought 40 more cacti!!!

I had a room full of houseplants - from trediscantia to peace lily - and so many others. But the ones that drew most of my attention were the 40 odd cacti!

When exam time was here, instead of studying I'd be grooming my cacti. As a procrastination thing. But it was long before the advent of the Internet really - well, it was for me. So I read mostly from things we call books.

Unfortunately I moved to the big city in search of work and could only take a handful of my prized possessions. I remember selling one on NZ's version of eBay (TradeMe) - it was tiny, and I noted on the site that it was just a small rooted cutting. But people kept bidding on it and it sold for $40... I felt awful... But I accepted the money anyway... I got a bad feedback Sad

I figured it was deserved, but they did bid for it!

So - it all started from a flowering cutting of echinopsis... And, although not the worlds most stunning cacti with it's small spines, it is still on top of my favourite.

Above all - i love the flowers - so keep watching the ACF Monthly Mag - because the 'flower addition' is coming just in time for spring!
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 pm

slim6y wrote:

When exam time was here, instead of studying I'd be grooming my cacti. As a procrastination thing.
sounds like me now Laughing
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 pm

I guess what 1st got me into collecting cacti was, the spines, i loved the big thick mean angry looking spines, but i soon learnt, repottings a b**** with them hahaha. Now i guess its the looks of the cacti and sort of flowers, but if im at someones garden or the market or something, im useless and if im asked what that plant is, i have no idea, nor what flower it produces, guess its just a bonus of the collecting. But Astro's are probably my favourite, closely followed by Feros and Chilean species like Eriosyce and Copiapoa, but just everything. Theres a hell of alot of plants id love, mostly Japanese Astro CV's, but Turbs and Lophs and Echinocereus ahh too many to name!
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 4:56 pm

I've allways had a few cacti (mostly Rhaphiolepis & Epi's) amidst my collection of tropical Aroids, Orchids, CP's & aquatics. However with the continuing water shortages most of the Aroids, Orchids & CP's have found new homes with friends in the tropical north (where they still have that stuff my granny used to tell stories about, i think she called it rain?)
I mean one has to admire anything that can sit in a kinda stasis for a decade or two between rain events. Even if Qld DPI seems concerned that "these things can survive even when all other vegitation has perished" i would have thought that some vegitation was better than none at all, even if it is exotic.
Unfortunately the new"ish" house rule is "if it isnt usefull we wont waste water, money or room on it".
I have a bit of a passion for columar cacti & the Opuntiads many of which have pretty decent fruit, & i can justify my Trich's as root stocks. now how do i justify some Astro's?
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 11:15 am

My interest started becoz my Mum had a few in pots. Then my youngest daughter decided to do a cacti garden as a project towards her Queen's Scout award (which she passed btw). Anyway the house got sold, the plants went west. Then last year my youngest took a trip to CC and fell in love with Echeverias. Sent me a few piccy's so I started looking on Ebay. Now they are taking over, many species, many varieties, cacti, succulents I'm hooked (on the spines occassionally 2), lol. I think its becoz they r so diverse and really don't ask for much and give big rewards (can't w8 2 c mine flower). There r 2 many to get every species but then u c one that catches your eye and u think just one more won't hurt, lmao.
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:16 pm

I was first given a couple of succulents for christmas when I was sixteen, an echeveria agavoides crest and a kalanchoe of some description. I've since lost these plants as at the time they didn't really spark much of an interest. I wish I still had them.

A year later I developed an interest in 'medicinal' plants, I bought my first Trichocereus at an exuberant price from the place previously known as 'happy high herbs'.
Later after moving to melbourne I discovered a market stall that sold many plants I was inteterested in and started buyin one or two a fortnight. After purchasing most of the medicinal plants on offer, my hunger didn't cease I continued buying cacti of all descriptions.
After another couple of years collecting I was lucky enough to score a job at a nursery and my habit became quite uncontrollable. I became interested in all manor of succulent plants, particularly caudiciforms, haworthias and cacti.
I now have far too many plants to count. I have a particular interest in finding new species and varieties of Trichocereus, I have over 35 species and numerous varieties. I love there appearance, large majestic colums covered in gnarly spines, that just seem to demand respect. There cold hardiness as I've spent alot of my life living and growing in the highlands of victoria. I wouldn't even dream of eating them anymore, which had been my initial plan.

I like collecting things, books, plants and now vinyl toys. There's something about owning a collection of related objects. I can't quite understand it, I just like it.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Good stories guys! Smile
okay, my turn....
I had always been interested in plants, animals and the natural world in general.
My cactus collection/addiction started when i was about 15 (im 17 now). There was a Lobivia arachnacantha on the veranda of my home and i never paid it much attention, until it flowered. The most amazing shining metallic purple that glistened in the sun. I thought it looked just great. There was also an old neglected Epiphyllum sp. (that i was later suprised to hear is actually a cactus) that i thought was really ugly until it flowered with a massive nocturnal white flower that scented out the entire veranda. Intrigued, i thought i should get a few more of these amazing plants. So i went to weekend markets and bought some common cacti like echinopsis and opuntia sp. for cheap prices. As months went on i also added some succulents and other unusual plants to the veranda. But cacti were the best so i focused on them. I thought they needed next to no water and that they thrived on neglect, so hence many of these plants looked pretty rough. they endured months of winter rain but they survived because these were very hardy cacti. Next i started researching cacti in books on and the net, and became more interested. When i figured out how to care for them better, i relocated my plants to a more appropriate position and started adding a few more unusual types to the 'collection'.... and the rest explains itself i think... i became a cactus nut and was constantly reading, getting advice and buying plants.

Today i have a small mixed collection focusing on small globular plants. i like small plants. I know i should but I don't really have a specialty area (i like too many types!) but focus mainly on Astrophytums, Gymnocalyciums, Mammillaria, crested, monstrose, rare cacti and mexican minatures. I hope to start up a Melocactus collection and have also recently became interested in seed raising.
Back to top Go down
spacemonk

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 1:59 am

I grow cacti among other things to keep me sane. flower
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Me, I first got interested back when I was kid in England. I got one at a market when I was about 10, and then, you know, I got another and another etc.. By the time I was 12 i'd amassed about a 100 plants- all with names that I'd gleaned from pictures in a cactus book at the local library. I dunno how many were right, not many I s'pose...but they all had names! (I still get a little obsessive about that sort of thing)

Then sadly I had to give 'em all away when we moved to Australia. Here it was great, you could grow them outdoors all year round! So I got more. I worked at a nursery for a while then went off to uni and did plant biology. At uni the main focus was on Australian plants, cacti didn't really rate much of a mention. Except of course for the dreaded Prickly Pear.

Cacti have always seemed to me to have an almost magical quality. But what with work and family commitments n'all, the collecting kind of went on the back burner for a while. Anyhow of late I've decided to start it up again, I probably have fewer than 20 species at the moment but i hoping to get maybe just a few more.

Jeez I can ramble but hey its late! ; )
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 am

I have no choice in the matter. They have told me if i dont grow them they will attack me and leave me for dead.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Cactus insurrection! I keep a bottle of Round Up ready to deal with this sort of behaviour, and if they know whats good for them...
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Charlie wrote:
Cactus insurrection! I keep a bottle of Round Up ready to deal with this sort of behaviour, and if they know whats good for them...

Arrow Blasphemy!!!

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
spacemonk

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Grow Cacti ???   Why Do You Grow Cacti ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Do You Grow Cacti ???
Page 1 of 1