Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Empty

Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I was given a bunch of little Peyote's the other day and I believe one of them may be cresting. I'm interested in grafting it to an old Pedro I have. Do I need to trim the sides of the Pedro to make a pyramid or can I just bung it straight onto a flat cut?

If I cut just the tip of the peyote off and leave most the subterranean stem in tact will the peyote roots throw new heads?

Also will the graft except if its just the tip of the peyote?

Its only about the size of a ten cent coin. So I'm not sure how such a small plant will handle a butchering.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:31 am

I would recommend waiting till its a bit bigger. That way you can make two or more grafts by chopping it up, you'll double your chance of success, or half your chance of failure. It is best if the scion is more than a couple of cubic cms for that kind of permanent stock grafting. Just makes it much easier to handle and more likely to survive.
I would also say that you should 'pencil' the end of the stock and then cut it where it is the same width as the scion. Otherwise when the cuts dry out, they start to shrink and move and they can push apart the graft union before it forms properly. If you pencil it, it will mean that the attachments elestics are pulling more downwards as oppose to out from the center.
If it is a crest it is special and you should do a bunch of practice grafts first to get the hang of it. Even the best grafter started out with a high rate of attrition.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks cryptocarpa!
Always wondered why they did that to the end of the stock. I figured I'd better not rush it so I had a go at grafting a bridgesii 'monstrose' to the pedro instead.

I'll take your advice and have a few goes with some other species first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro Empty

Back to top Go down

Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro
Page 1 of 1