Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Empty

Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dave_richo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi there I'm new to this forum and it looks like the place to get some serious help!

I have a friend who is moving house and is going to leave his 4m tall San Pedro cactus behind.

I am allowed to take this giant cactus to my house but I'm hesitant as it was originally grown in a large pot and the root system has punched right threw this pot into the ground right next to a pathway.

He thinks I can just cut the giant root and move it in the old pot to my house and repot but I think this would damage the poor giant having such a big root cut off the bottom, who knows how big it be down there.

I can't dig it up because it is rooted underneath the pathway that can't be damaged, but I can cut it about 50cm from the top of the pot.

Will this kill the cactus if I cut such a large root off or will it be ok to cut it and re pot it???

Any help would be great as time is running out and I don't want to hurt it or leave it there to be chopped down and bull dowsed!!

Thanks in advance

Dave
Back to top Go down
numan

numan

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

hope it helps..

http://www.ehow.com/how_12105145_remove-replant-outdoor-cactus.html
Back to top Go down
SlightlyHooked

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 am

Hi Dave,

Cutting the roots and transplanting probably won't kill it, at least in my experience. I bought a collection from a couple who were renovating and did not share the former owners love of all things prickly. So I spent a weekend digging up a ute load of cacti to take home. As per that article above I let my plants air out for a week or more before planting. From these and others I have moved you may find some plants won't grow for quite some time, years, after the move. Its species dependant however as some will continue to grow like nothing has happened. Good luck and be careful moving large cacti can be tricky.
Back to top Go down
dave_richo

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 am

Great, that gives me more confidence in making the move now.
My only problem is I will have to transplant into a large pot because I am moving house as well very soon and don't want to repeat the process again in a couple of months after it has just settled in.

Physically moving the cactus is hard enough!

Thanks for your help, it was the answer I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
SlightlyHooked

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Here is a shot of some of the stuff i ended up with. Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Img_1810. The one at the back wraped in carpet underlay and straped to a bord is a 3 or 4 meters tall Grey Organ Pipe. Fortunately it wasn't too heavy when all the dirt was removed.
Back to top Go down
dave_richo

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Wow what a great score!

Any old Saguaro's in there?
Back to top Go down
dave_richo

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Wow what a great score!

Any old Saguaro's in there?

The roots are actually quite small on those large ones, thats good to know.
Back to top Go down
SlightlyHooked

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am

No sadly not, but the funny thing was I bought the collection after seeing a couple of fuzzy photo's. I go there expecting to find 3 cacti ranging in height to about 1 meter. Was rather chuffed when the owner told me there were a couple of extra items... Very Happy Not sure my wife was so impressed when 3 prickly items tuned into several hundred...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.   Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root. Empty

Back to top Go down

Relocating a large San Pedro and cutting the tap root.
Page 1 of 1