Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Empty

URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-01-04

PostSubject: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi All,

So I am just about to have a fit No

Today I re-potted a variety of cactus & Succulents, then I went into town. However I came home to the horror that my Father in Law watered all of the cactus/succulent pots I had out under the varandah which I had just repoted. He didn't know better and thought he was being helpful.

What do I do from here; They are planted in a good Cactus mix soil, I live in Far North Queensland in Australia, and our temperture is around 35C a day. When I got home I put them out the yard, in a green house with half sun, I know I risk Sun damage and stress to the newly repotted plants, but thought this would be better as it would dry the roots quickly?

I didn't know what to do:
Re pot again (And stress the plant out more)
Unpot all the cacti and leave them to dry out before repotting?
Put in full sun to dry the soil out?

What would you recommend? Is watering after repotting and disease to the roots common?

Advice is greatly appricated.

Thanks Smile

Question

Also While I have a topic open, And finally joining the forum (Hello all I am a frequent lurker) Thought I would ask, Does anyone have a certain book they recommend for identifying types of Succulents? I am after a mother of all books, Something with most/everything in. I am going to most likely have to buy online - Which is why I thought I would check if anyone has any feedback on any, before buying Smile

Last edited by Kristy4740 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : After thought question)
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 am

Hello and welcome,

Good to see your stepping out from the shadows Smile For the majority of species, given your climate and warm temperature, I dont think you should worry too much. As a rule c&s are very hardy and I don't think you will end up with any problems, just let them dry out for a week and resume your normal watering schedule.

That being said there are a few species that would be suceptible to root problems. What species are you growing ?

HN
Back to top Go down
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you for the warm welcome and your reply. I grow a bit of everything, I don't stick to any kinds, or have any visible favourites as of yet.

I use to collect when I lived in Ballarat, Victoria for roughly 7 years? However I moved 4 years ago up here and I had to sell them off. (However I did keep my favourite few at my brothers) So I am building up my collection from scratch again.

It spins me out a lot as the climate is 100% different than what I am use to.

I actually took a photo of the repotted plants after they were watered yesterday so I will try to work out how to upload the image and will post a photo.
Back to top Go down
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Lets see if this works........ Sorry about the size Sad

URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? IMG_3234

P.S A Nice 40C day here today.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned, I think they'll be just fine. Were it early Spring or something it might be a different story, but in the current temperatures they should be okay...

As for books, there probably isn't "one book to rule them all", especially if you want it for identification as most of those books usually only cover a genus or two. Books that cover all different genera usually only spotlight a few individual species and only offer general info and don't cover any particualr genus in detail enough to be really useful.

For IDing you may actually do better posting pictures here and on other C & S forums. Then once you get an idea of the genera you are growing or want to grow, you can buy specific books that will be of more use (ie a book on Aloes, a book on Aeoniums etc)

For books try here -
http://www.kimscactusbooks.ashop.com.au/
http://www.keithsplantbooks.co.uk/default.aspx?Books=C (British site)
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 9:27 am

Your plants look healthy enough, you shouldn't have any problems Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??   URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do?? Empty

Back to top Go down

URGENT HELP!! 50+ Cactus's repotted... What to Do??
Page 1 of 1