Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Empty

Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE   Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE EmptySun May 30, 2010 9:28 pm

In the last pack of seed from BA I received there was a free packet of seed labelled Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE. I was under the impression that crest forming was a developmental phenomena, not an inheritable one (well maybe genetic in the sense that some genotypes are more susceptible to it than others... but not as an inheritable fait accompli). Will seed collercted from crested cacti produce more crested seedlings or seedlings that are phenotypically normal??
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE   Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE EmptySun May 30, 2010 9:44 pm

To answer your question simply, Yes. Seeds from crested plants tend to produce some crested seedlings. Cristation is quite a complex subject, have a read through this it is very informative.

http://www.cactuspedia.info/note-book/Dictionary/Dictionary_C/dictionary_cristation.htm
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE   Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Hmmm.... ok... that was an interesting read! So it seems that the most likely explanation is that some lines of cacti are more genetically predisposed to forming crests than others but it is not a guarantee that they will and that environmental factors may initiate these processes... so if I sow these Myrtillocactus geometrizans seed there is a good chance they could develop crested seedlings but a good chance they won't too Smile Thanks Josh Smile Will sow them and see when I get my hot-bed made Smile
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE   Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:12 am

With a little luck, you might end up with some of these ! (My photo, but alas, not my plants!)

Keep your fingers crossed!

Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE 4652936524_f0030637a6

The theory that crested plants produce a higher percentage of crested offspring is also proven in habitat as I've seen areas where crested plants have appeared in "pockets" amongst many more normal plants...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE   Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE Empty

Back to top Go down

Myrtillocactus geometrizans CRISTATE
Page 1 of 1