Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
frailea flower in the heat Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
frailea flower in the heat Empty

frailea flower in the heat

Go down 
+5
Olga
Emma
AmnesiA
Hellonasty
Darren
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

this little baby gave me a nice surprise today and yesterday with two seperate flowers only flowering 1 day each
frailea flower in the heat RIMG1037
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Really nice Smile
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:26 pm

mmmmmm they are awesome. My astroidies died sadly =( .... but your flower makes me happy. frailea flower in the heat Icon_biggrin

-A
Back to top Go down
Emma

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 7:42 pm

That is a lovely flower, and such a cute little cactus body as well.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 pm

thanks guys... she is frailea castanea cv shidow i have heaps of seedlings of this one from a flower that did not open late last year. this plant is cleistogemic ( goes straight to seed without flowering ).

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:08 am

Love!
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 pm

they only live for what 10 years? so a must to collect its seed, i have a frailea asteroides v.backebergii, which is just about to flower!
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 8:21 am

awesome!
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Any chance of swapping some seeds for some cataphracta phaeodisca in a few months?

Last edited by cooky173 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:48 pm

could definately swap some seed when i get another flower...it looks like one is coming up at the moment so i will try to remember when i get the seeds.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 pm

My Frailea asteroides v.backebergii flowered but the flower never opened , and so I was surprised when it fruited and set seed ... self fertile me thinks
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Quote :
My Frailea asteroides v.backebergii flowered but the flower never opened , and so I was surprised when it fruited and set seed ... self fertile me thinks

Hey Blowng i think they call this cleistogemic or something... the flower doesnt even need to open and it sets seed
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Ah yes Cleistogamy ...It must be difficult to cross these types to produce hybrids huh? It was a nice surprise , made up for the disapointment of the flower not opening at all.. frailea flower in the heat Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:02 am

I have noticed that these flowers only open when the weather is really hot and bright light had some in a shaded area that didnt open flowers then some in a brighter warmer area and had several flowers open for me. I wonder if anyone else finds the same.
This plant is for sure one of my all time favourites i am starting a collection of fraileas.
Darren did you have a pic of that frailea that you had grafted.
And i love that with frailea you only need the one plant to get seed shame more cacti were not like that.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 am

Cactuscook I would gladly send you some Frailia seeds that i just got off my unopened flower if you would like
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

frailea flower in the heat RIMG1232
This is one of the grafts that i made when the seedlings were only very young it has split into 4 heads and is only about 9 months old hope you like it. also i noticed when i did get a flower to open on my mother plant it did not set seed?????
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 pm

cool a crest by the looks i just love it i have some seed of a couple varities still on the plants i have to sought out ill give you some when you come around next. blomng thanks for the offer i have two plants v backbergia i bought from lester meyers i also have the same one as darren and hanazono i will sought out what i have in the next day or two and let you know what i can spare.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:18 am

cheers cactuscook ,i thought that looked a bit cresty darren
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:44 pm

i hope it is a crest but i doubt it!! dont think i could be that lucky in my first year frailea flower in the heat Icon_biggrin has anyone noticed when you get tham to flower that you dont get any seed ?
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am

Hi darren i have had plants flower for the first time and had no seed it is maybe due to the flower still being too young and not mature enough only a thought anyway. Because the next year or flush of flowers i have been able to pollinate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: frailea flower in the heat   frailea flower in the heat Empty

Back to top Go down

frailea flower in the heat
Page 1 of 1