Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Sun burn general discussion and precautions Empty

Sun burn general discussion and precautions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 2:25 am

We had quite cloudy weather for wuite long and sudden sun cause some burns. Especially harmed, apart from Euphorbia enopla fresh cuts in perlite/sand mix, was one monstrosa opuntioid I have, which I have also burnt in the past - this time it was even worse though. Photos forthcoming.

I find this of particular concern, because it seems sun changes can alone scar or even kill a plant! I sometimes become obsessed with giving my cacti as much sun as can, but as it seems not all like it as much. F.e. I think gymnos stall when in full sun, hey like it shadier - I wondered why one of my baldianums didn't progress a lot
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 am

My best bet is keep an eye on the weather and get up early and water them on hot days. We have a hellish sun here, I had been moving a small golden barrel from shade to sun slowly, he'd been out in the sun for only two days when we got a freak 40 degree day and he copped really nasty sunburn. Which shocked me actually, I always though they were quite hardy.
Move all of your pots out of the sun, especially if they're on cement or pavers, the roots will fry on the hot cement.
My partner (bless his long suffering heart) suggested we have a roll of shade cloth handy, or even attached to the fence to pull over the garden on really hot days.
My Dad generally opens the vents up on his tomato greenhouse and covers it in shadecloth, I am assuming cacti would benefit from this.

Contrary to what I always assumed, succulents can dislike really bright sun, I finally got some trigonas to grow really well by putting them in shade, so I suggest moving your euphorbias into shade, and some of our old crassulas seem to really suffer on hot days. Main thing is keeping the roots cool and direct sun off
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

yep alot of euphorbia types and gymnocalycium enjoy a bit of part shade/sun ...the sun here in west australia during summer is fierce so have alot of my succulents and seedlings and sensitive types under shade cloth ....still havent got that green house yet but one day ,one day Sun burn general discussion and precautions Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks a lot.

Thing is I really like the idea to keep the hardiest plants like my columnars which love full sun, in full sun all year round, but I have made part shade spots too for pere/selini/gymnos and whatever else I find it prefers these spots. I suppose this change might protect them but not make them grow slower, I have even noticed that gymnos grow slower in full sun than in part shade...

Which do you find is the best programm, morning sun best, afternoon sun best? I think noon sun is preferably avoided if I can get morning/afternoon one...
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Morning sun I think, afternoon is the scorching type, but our sun is horribly hotter than European sun. On any hot day I try to keep them covered until evening, as you just saw I had a cereus get sunburn, and they're really hardy. If you haven;t had any trouble with your columnars so far then I wouldn't worry about it
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 pm

I've had scorching occur on a few Opuntias. It definitely seems that afternoon sun is the main villain.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am

I am more worried about leuchtenbergia, stenocacus and a opuntia cristata, not the columnars
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am

Definitely keep an eye on the Opuntia cristata (is it a cristate microdasys?), as I find they're really twitchy when it comes to direct sun.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Ehm, my un-IDed cristata opuntia is dead Smile I forgot to mention. After an intense burning and rainfall... I don't think is was microdasys.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:27 pm

You know for a hardy plant they manage to die a lot...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sun burn general discussion and precautions   Sun burn general discussion and precautions Empty

Back to top Go down

Sun burn general discussion and precautions
Page 1 of 1