Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
that new Lophophora Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
that new Lophophora Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
that new Lophophora Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
that new Lophophora Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
that new Lophophora Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
that new Lophophora Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
that new Lophophora Empty

that new Lophophora

Go down 
+3
MichaelCactus
AmnesiA
lewis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 pm

http://lophophora.blogspot.com/2009/02/lophophora-alberto-vojtechii-new.html
what does everyone think of this?
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Really does sound positive, Id imagine based on locality there would be minor trait's and variations in evolution based on habitat. the more the keep looking the more they will find no doubt. Certifiably awesome and seems they have done research over the last 2 years to obtain credible fact...

Now someone get em into aus and hanazono can graft em that new Lophophora Icon_twisted teehee
Thanks for the read Lewis
-A
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 4:20 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Loph, which means they basically all look the same to me.
Is it possible its just a natural hybrid?
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 8:03 pm

I think it's very beautiful. However, it is yet to have its validity as a new species proven. The population from where it is found is only 100km from L. koehresii, the next smallest species, so it may just be a new variety.

Another strange thing about it is that is usually only has five ribs and no wool, the common appearance of immature Lophophora species.

There are defintiely difference to be found, but whether they merit the status of it being a sperate species or not is yet to be seen.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 pm

more alberto-vojtechii photos

I'd be especially interested to see if the plant stays small in cultivation (well, at least on its own roots). it appears to flower at a remarkably small size, flower dwarfs the plant. the straight ribs would immediately suggest relation to williamsii, however IIRC it is actually closer to the diffusa sect, apparently both because of a similarity to koehresii and also a certain other difference which cannot be discussed here that new Lophophora Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 pm

im skeptical as well. although taxonomists probably wont agree, i think cultivation should be a requirement for describing it, as it is the best way to test reproduction.

be neat if it is a new one, but it seems fairly ify.....5 ribs that small is common....they also stated that the odd one had 8...which means they are likely growing new ones as they mature.....it could just be a new or slower growing population of another species.

be interesting to see howit unfolds!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
numan

numan

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:16 am

Our local dealers were taking orders for this plant during this year (import from Czech Republic). I decided not to buy it cos its hard to say whether its fake or real one...image is below, seeds available here: http://www.kaktusy.cz/eshop/index.php

that new Lophophora 5ebbce0396ba

Last edited by numan on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 8:01 am

Well it is thee years after the discovery and I would still be very skeptical as to the validity of the identification. Personally I can't distinguish any solid visual difference between them? Does anyone know any 'tell tail' or obvious traits for I'd purposes?
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Did you go to EGA HN? As you would know, Trout did a couple of talks there. I asked him if he thought L. alberto-vojtechii was a distinct speces and he said he thought it definitely was, or in the very least, a distinct hybrid (but more likely a species). They have been found flowering at 1cm in diameter and apparently have not been found larger than 4cm or 5cm.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am

No I didnt go to EGA and didn't knot Trout was speaking there, that would have been interesting. I'm not challenging the founders or the validity of the species, I have little to no exprience in the genetics of these plants. I was speaking from a collectors stand point and conveying how difficult it would be to get a solid I'd prior to obtaining seeds or a plant.
Do you know of any distinguishing features of the said plant?
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

Other than size, no. No doubt the flower is important, but I don't know how.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Makes purchasing difficult.
Back to top Go down
numan

numan

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:03 pm

recent picture from the british forum..looks like a real one..

that new Lophophora Loph%20Alberto-Vojtechii%20-%20BUD%20-%2023_12_11%2007
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: that new Lophophora   that new Lophophora Empty

Back to top Go down

that new Lophophora
Page 1 of 1