Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Growing Cacti in the Garden Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Growing Cacti in the Garden Empty

Growing Cacti in the Garden

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 am

Hello I'm new Growing Cacti in the Garden Icon_smile I've spent about two days going through the forum and the information is awesome.

I've noticed most people keep their collection in pots. I started collecting on a small scale about ten years ago, and then gave it up for a few when we were renting and had no space, all the pots were at Mum and Dad's, most of them have survived fine expect for a couple of root-bound ones which I am nursing at the moment. We're building a house and I have an absolutely enormous area to plant all the cacti. It does get a lot of sun, it's the back corner so it is relatively protected from wind as it has the three fencelines and the back wall of the house, there's also a huge gum on one side which shades one part.
Anyway I have been wanting to do this for years and I have a while to plan it, and some great established cacti and succulents to go in (and in a sudden new collecting frenzy am gathering a lot more). Any advice? Soil I know will be a problem but I have plenty of time to work on the soil before I plant. I was a fairly small-scale collector before so I have not had a lot of problems with sun exposure or pests etc and not a lot of experience in that.
And thank you in advance!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 am

Welcome to the forum Olga. Can't help with the soil, mine are all in pots except for a few succulents that I shoved in the garden and they went berserk, probably coz I am on a sloping block. Will let the experts here give you advice, good luck with the project.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks Vicki Growing Cacti in the Garden Icon_smile I have actually discovered a couple of threads since which have given me ideas for the soil.
I think I'm a bit concerned about what sort of pests I may encounter in garden planting, so far I have never had any major pest problems in pots.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 pm

G'day Olga...

I'm in similar circumstances to you at the moment, and I'm in the process of planning a cactus and succulent garden bed. I'm planning on including mostly succulents, but with a mixture of Trichocereus, Echinopsis, Opuntia and Cereus as accent plants. All are pretty outdoor-hardy, however I reckon drainage could be an issue. What I'm looking at doing is building a raised garden bed, and including a lot of free-draining material in the mix to avoid water pooling and causing root rot.

One thing that I find helpful is looking around the suburbs to see what species people already have established in their gardens in your area. Generally, if you can look at older, established gardens you will see what survives in our climate the best. The usual suspects like various Opuntias, Trich spach, the ubiquitous Cereus peruvianus, etc seem pretty cold- and damp-tolerant, which to my mind makes them ideal for outdoor plantings. They also all have really nice structure to them, which coupled with the right succulents should make for a very effective planting.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Lachy Growing Cacti in the Garden Icon_smile I live in Bayside too, we're actually moving down to a new area (Lyndhurst) and everyone has those minimal native gardens *sigh*
I have also rarely seen any cactus in this area besides giant ancient prickly pears...we get no frost in Dingley, so I figure there is none there, we're only about 20 minutes from where we're moving.
I am collecting some Cereus at the moment, I have a few old barrels (I have yet to identify but these have been planted here for ages and been fine) and Mamms, I see Cactuspolecat has those in Tassie with little issue. I have actually bought a lot of Euphorbias online, my old giant clumping one is still hardy ten years on so I am hoping I can plant a lot of those, the patterns are awesome.
Yes I was thinking a raised one with a couple of levels, it should be expensive for rocks and stuff so well do it slowly, but I am the sort who likes to plan months ahead
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing Cacti in the Garden   Growing Cacti in the Garden Empty

Back to top Go down

Growing Cacti in the Garden
Page 1 of 1