Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Empty

Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobblybook

Bobblybook

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi everyone, spring time again Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cheers Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cheers
I've bought a bunch of seeds to grow this season - can't wait to plant them but before I do, I'd like to ask some questions.

Here are the seeds I have with me now:
-Lithops (various, some of the easier species to grow)
-Astrophytum capricorne
-Astro myriostigma (various forms)
-Astro asterias
-Tricho pachanoi
-Lophophora williamsii

I've grown some succulents from seed before but from what I see cacti are a bit different - they seem to like warmer temperatures to germinate (understandably) as well as a rockier medium.
I've bought a bag of propagating sand because the sand I used last time was too fine - this seems suitable. I've also heard that it's better to sieve out the larger stuff and only use that? I tried that with a pod of golden barrels a few months ago just to try it out, and while a lot of them germinated, they didn't last very long - it seemed they couldn't really get a grip in the rocky material and the gaps between the pieces was too large... I'm not sure if I should really be sieving out the smaller pieces because of this.
I've also thought about mixing in a bit of soil (I've got a light, fine seed raising mix) which could help fill in the gaps... and I also see that some mature cacti are planted some sort of crushed scoria, but I haven't heard of anyone propagating seedlings in this so it might only be suitable for larger plants.

I'm also wondering if a heat mat is necessary or beneficial at the moment - while I have germinated some agave attenuatas quite successfully with no extra heating, I'm wondering if these seedlings will benefit from extra heat while germinating, especially since it can be controlled and kept quite constant. I do have one, so it's always an option if there's some benefit to it, even in spring.

Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops (what's this emoticon meant to show anyway..)

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_scratch Hmmmm..... I cant answer any of your question, However an old eskimo seaweed planter once told me this ....."He who listens with one ear, Only see's half the truth" Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Icon_cyclops I think this is his legacy.

That or cyclops are just downright cool and are not acctually huge but tiny little dudes with clubs that ride ants and hang around your cactus. They farm mealybugs for a living and smite those who oppose them.

Im looking foward to hearing the answers to your questions as I've been asking myself similar ones. another I was curious on is if your using artificial lights who long should you be pumping the light? 12hrs?

-A
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 5:30 pm

18 hours mate straight to an artificial summer lol....i am wondering who else soaks their seeds? as i have , Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Sleep with better results than not soaking, but am sowing so many this year that dont know if its worth the extra hassle
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:48 pm

blowng
I think soaking works well for cactus seeds with hard shell. I soak Echinocactus horizonthalonius seeds in warm water. This soaking give me a quite good germanation ratio.
Hanzono
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 pm

I have found that most cacti get better germination with a 12 to 24hr soak in weak seasol before planting. I suspect that its the soak rather than the seasol that works, placebo effect - makes me feel better.

12hr light for spring plantings works for me, i dont believe that sudden changes in photo period do seedlings any good. so i only use artificial lights until midsummer, then they stay off till next season.

i just use standard media sieved for the seeds, that way when i eventually get around to potting on they dont get a shock. i dont think its nessesary for most seedlings just the ones i REALY dont want to kill. + i dont want to be holding any more potting media's than i allready do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's   Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's Empty

Back to top Go down

Germinating Cactus Seeds - few q's
Page 1 of 1