Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Toumeya papyracantha.. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Toumeya papyracantha.. Empty

Toumeya papyracantha..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm

..aka Sclerocactus papyracanthus and Pediocactus papyracanthus, in flower...
Toumeya papyracantha.. Toumey10Toumeya papyracantha.. Toumey11Toumeya papyracantha.. Toumey12
(images are clickables).
enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Wow... that is an interesting little plant. Those spines are extremely cool.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am

Lachy wrote:
Wow... that is an interesting little plant. Those spines are extremely cool.
yep. the best description of the plant i've heard is a Turbinicarpus x Tephrocactus articulatus v. papyracanthus. the spines are soft and paper-like (hence the species epithet).
actually it is related to Turbinicarpus, the flowers are quite similar and many turbs used to be in the genus Toumeya.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 am

This plant looks very familiar.

May I ask where you got this one from, did you do the graft your self?
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:52 pm

KanJe: i grafted this one myself. it's on an echinopsis eyresii hybrid stock, grafted in November.
i have grafted 7, which are re-grafts of an original one i got last year from CSSA which you may well have seen. i will continue to re-graft them.

here is a double graft on a myrtillocactus stock:
Toumeya papyracantha.. Double10
(click to enlarge)
they go crazy on grafts!
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am

Oh, Ok. I just wasn't sure if I had seen these somewhere being sold around.

That last pic is a really awesome plant by the way Lewis.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Quote :
That last pic is a really awesome plant by the way Lewis.
i intend to graft more toumeya scions onto the stock when it branches and ultimately make a 'tree'/multi-graft.
T.papyracantha probably the rarest plant in my collection so yeah i guess its kinda special.

i've been trying to root a degrafted cutting for months now with still no sign of roots, even used rooting hormone. (i was successful in rooting an offset once before, alas it's condition gradually deteriorated and i had to resort to re-grafting to resurrect it).
Self-rooted cultivation (in the context of 'out of it's natural range') is regarded as a challenge, with reports ranging from very difficult to almost impossible. In reality it needs very cold winter temperatures (meaning like -10C to -20C or below) which you simply can't achieve in Aus. Growers in some parts of Europe can grow them well on own roots, and of course those in the US where it occurs naturally.
as a compromise next season i plan to graft one to a small hardy slower stock which i can conceal like an Echinocereus sp. so i get a more natural-looking scion.
see:
Toumeya papyracantha info
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this plant intrigues me and I wanted to add my 2 cents worth...

[quote="lewis"]
Quote :

Self-rooted cultivation (in the context of 'out of it's natural range') is regarded as a challenge, with reports ranging from very difficult to almost impossible. In reality it needs very cold winter temperatures (meaning like -10C to -20C or below) which you simply can't achieve in Aus. Growers in some parts of Europe can grow them well on own roots, and of course those in the US where it occurs naturally.

Yes, this is "apparently" a tough plant to grow on it's own roots, but don't believe everything you hear or read and don't let it deter you from having a go with these little gems. It can be done. I've got a small number of young plants that I've raised from seed on their own roots. They're now 2.5 years old and they seem to happily co-exist in the greenhouse which is heated during winter to a minimum of 8C. No special treatment other than being absolutely dry in winter..
Getting them to germinate and through the first few months is whole different ballgame though.... Toumeya papyracantha.. Icon_rolleyes

IMG_3514a (Medium)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toumeya papyracantha..   Toumeya papyracantha.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Toumeya papyracantha..
Page 1 of 1