Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium Empty

Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium   Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Hey all.

One of the prides of my still small epi collection is a cutting of E. chrysocardium that I acquired a few months back.

It was a bit quiet for a while, but with the warmth of a southern summer its roots finally shot out and three buds developed along the stem. Of these three buds, the lowest one has shot up and is now as big as the original cutting, but the two higher up are still tiny embryonic bumps about 2mm long.

Have they stalled forever? Will they die off and leave me hanging for next summer to get more branching on the plant? Or are they just playing possum?

Is there any way of encouraging their growth without chopping the plant in pieces?

Any thoughts or experience?
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium   Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 am

I have found with a few of my cacti that if one offsets late in summer it doesn't always fully develope into a new stem. In a couple of cases when the next summer comes along the same plant would offset a new stem and abort the previous late bloomer. I found this common with T. bridgesii mostrose.

What I'm trying to say is that it's possible for cacti to abort offsets for various reasons. Maybe due to the lowest offset on your plant growing so rapidly the other two have stalled forever.
I'm not sure how you might stimulate their growth. Sorry I couldn't help any more than that.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/

Shooting on Epiphyllum chrysocardium
Page 1 of 1