Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Empty

Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.

Go down 
+3
gilligan
trigonus
Astroboy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Astroboy

Astroboy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi!!

Does anyone have astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants for sale?
Also after a Lophocereus shotti montrose or totem pole cactus.

thanks

astroboy
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi and welcome Astroboy Smile

I have some spare Astro hybrid seeds to trade if interested. Some aren't properly labeled as I am a bit slack regarding labeling, but they should be fairly interesting. All hybridised by myself and fairly fresh, some more than others.

Let me know if interested.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Oi, Trig...

Jumping on the thread - If you have any spare, i'd be up for them... Have some ario fiss and or loph w var hipolito seeds for trade...
Back to top Go down
Astroboy

Astroboy

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi trigonus!!

I'd like to trade some seeds with you. here is some of the seeds i have in stock at the moment:

Mammillaria mix(seed)
Copiapoa esmeraldana.(seed)
Echinocactus texensis.(seed)
Atrophytum asterias(seedlings)
Trichnocereus panchoi(seedling)
trichnocereus spachinus x huasha (seeds)

Other Plants:

Chorisia Speciosa(seeds, seedlings)
Mimosa Pudica(Seeds, plants)
mimosa hostilis(jurema).(seeds)

Let me know if you are interested in any of these seeds, if not im happy to pay u cash for them.

thank you

Astroboy
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm

I should have enough for a couple of trades with both of you. That's a good list Astroboy. I will PM both of you about trades soon.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm

yeehah..

Cheers, trig...
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 am

Astroboy wrote:
Hi trigonus!!

Trichnocereus panchoi(seedling)

First of all welcome to the ACF Astroboy.

I mean this as no disrespect but I thought most of Trichocereus panchoi were clones in Australia and it is difficult to have them pollinate with eachother.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm was just curious.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Astroboy

Astroboy

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Kanje!!

You are right, it is most likely That you may need a female and male plant for the flower to produce seeds. You can also use an specimen that belongs to the same family.
I got the next article from the Cultivar website, its a russian magazine dedicated to cacti only.
Most of cacti to set full value seeds demand cross-pollination by the pollen of another plant belonging to the same species. Unfortunately, even if you have another plant it may not bloom or they bloom in turn. There is a method to "cheat" the nature and get germinating seeds.
A thick transparent nectar that secretes in spring above areoles of Hamatocactus setispinus, Coryphantha clava and some other species of Ferocactus will help us. I dip a sharpened match into the nectar, apply it onto the pistil of the flower that should be pollinated and then, in 2-3 minutes, apply the pollen of the same plant. In most cases the fruit is set and it gives full value seeds. (№ 2 - 1985).

Cheers

Astroboy
Back to top Go down
Astroboy

Astroboy

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm

If anyone is interested in checking out this website here is the address:
It has a lot of info so i would reccomend.

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/index-e.htm
e-Magazine about exotic forms of Cactaceae
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Wow, thanks heaps Astro, another great source of knowledge and temptations!
issue 41 exhibition of Moscow cactilovers photo's are awesome, some sexy sexy plants indeed drool

Cheers!
-A
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Astroboy!

Quote :
Also after a Lophocereus shotti montrose or totem pole cactus.
L.schottii monstrose is rare but well worth the search. its super cool, extremely bizzare and my favourite columnar cactus. They are slow growing and tend to be passed from private grower to private grower rather than offered for sale commercially. It is fairly easy to grow but scale love the things.

its easy to see why these are so highly sort after and popular:
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/LOPHOCEREUS/Lophocereus_schotii/Lophocereus_schotii_mostruosus/lophocereus_schotti_mostruosa.htm

'CULTIVAR' is indeed an awesome site and very informative. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Astroboy

Astroboy

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Lewis!!

I was looking for quite a while for one of this cactus. I can get them from overseas but they wont make it past customs, since they are in the list of prohibited imports. Anyway, I was buying a few seeds from Vlado from arizona cactus here in melbourne. And told him I was after one monstrose cactus and luckely he hooked me up with Llayal from The Lara nursery who had one for sale and managed to pick it up for $150 for an 18 inch height specimen.
I may try to graft it on to a T. peruvianus maybe I can get it to grow much faster.

Thanks for the info, lewis

Astro
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Astroboy wrote:
I can get them from overseas but they wont make it past customs, since they are in the list of prohibited imports.

You can't import live plants into Australia unfortunately. prohibited or not, it's almost impossible.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Astroboy,
intersting propogation advice.

Nice link to the Lophocereus too - never seen one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.   Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted. Empty

Back to top Go down

Astrophytum hybrid seeds or plants wanted.
Page 1 of 1