Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Hello from Italy! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Hello from Italy! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Hello from Italy! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Hello from Italy! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Hello from Italy! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Hello from Italy! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Hello from Italy! Empty

Hello from Italy!

Go down 
+4
Vicki
cortona
Hellonasty
Carlo & Daniele
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Carlo & Daniele

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Hello!

We just join this forum and found it really interesting!

We are two brothers from Italy, Carlo & Daniele and we collect principally mexican small sized cactus. We like very much ariocarpus and astrophytum, species and cultivars.

some ariocarpus that flowered this autumn:

retusus SB 68

Hello from Italy! Cimg1538mo0

scapharostrus Rayones

Hello from Italy! Cimg1556nd0

lloydii

Hello from Italy! Cimg1568pa5

kotschoubeyanus elephantidens

Hello from Italy! Cimg1567nw1

and some astrophytum:

Astrophytum myriostigma hakuun

Hello from Italy! Cimg1146fm7

Astrophytum myriostigma cv kikko koh-yo

This one turn in a beautiful peach yellow colour during dormiance period

Hello from Italy! Cimg1574cr6

Astrophytum caput-medusae

Hello from Italy! Cimg1527eh0

Some of our fukuryu:

Hello from Italy! Cimg1225oi0

Hope you like them!

Carlo & Daniele
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Welcome,

Amazing plants ! I really like the two ^^ Fukuryu brothers, just outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks!
We crossed them this summer and obtained some seeds.
The white one, called haku-jo, that mean white stripe on the rib, makes particular thick fruits similar to those of caput-medusae.
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 am

welcome carlo e daniele, wereever i go early or late you arrives ! i'm happy to be not the only italian on this forum!
your plants like i ever see you are beautiful! and i like a lot your fukuruyu, especialy the ones that flower on the sub ribs!
hope to meet you in the real word! italy are little!
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 am

Hello Emanuele and thanks! we see you have too a good collection of astros!
Writing on foreign forums is a good way to improve the languages...
And this forum is very interesting and particular since here in italy is now winter whereas in australia is beginning summer. So we can show during next months the change of colours of myrio koh-yo and see here the plants on flower!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:36 am

Welcome Carlo & Daniele - hope you enjoy this forum.

Your plants are really awesome. You are lucky you can have such beautiful plants in your collection.
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 am

yes i agree wit you, one of the reason of my presence here are the language! english is ever useful! and yes inverse seasons are a nice ting to play with!
my collection are poor in front of your! and probably i have reali less arios than you but the budget that i can give to my collection are les tan your! i am alone your aare two!!!! hehehehehehehehe
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:48 am

@ Vicki: thanks for the welcome! We see here there are some astro lovers too

@ cortona: english is a good language to speak with foreign people!
About the budget: we try not to spend not too much, but if we want to buy an expensive plant we can buy 50 and 50 % and this is good!
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 8:23 am

Carlo & Daniele, Hello and welcome to the forum.
You have some very interesting plants, and they are very nicely grown... I like them a lot.
We never see any of the hybrid Astrophytums here in Tasmania... so I don't have any of them so I really enjoy looking at your photographs. I very much like your hakuun withall those lovely flowers.

Cheers, CP
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 8:43 am

Hello and thanks!
Hakuun is a quite strange plant, it flowered a lot past summer but is was not very fertile. But it is really nice when it flowers so much. Next summer we will cut (and regradft) all the offset in order to make the main head bigger.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 11:58 am

Hello and welcome! Very Happy
This is great, we need more overseas growers here. You Italians sure have some amazing plants, particualrly Astrophytums and crests and monstrose plants.
how old are the own roots digitostigmas?

re: hakuun, i always thought they were sterile but apparently not. however mine refuses to cooperate regardless of what it is crossed with.
i do know Lotusland is sterile though, i don' t think theres any denying that, so i'm not going to bother to attempt to cross mine with other astros. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong though Smile
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Carlo & Daniele, welcome to the ausie forum.
It's good to see other people around the world that share the same enthusiasim.
I hate to seem like a noob but I have never seen the fukuryu variety.

Can I ask, trait carried via seed in the dna or is it monstrose?
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 1:39 am

@ lewis: digitostigma are from febraury 2007, the photo was taken in september 2008, in flower for the first time.

@ KanJe: fukuryu are new plants also in italy. There are many forms, some are clustering and do not flower too much but the other are fertile and produce perfect seeds. We think the trait is carried via seed, since mostly of these plants flowers like common myrios; but we have to wait some years to see the % of charaterized plants.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:31 am

Carlo & Daniele wrote:

@ KanJe: fukuryu are new plants also in italy. There are many forms, some are clustering and do not flower too much but the other are fertile and produce perfect seeds. We think the trait is carried via seed, since mostly of these plants flowers like common myrios; but we have to wait some years to see the % of charaterized plants.

This excites me...
We need to get them in australia I think... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 1:12 pm

We need to get all these plants in Australia, such a shame:(

Welcome Carlo and Daniele! Your collection makes me drool, i wish we had these plants available here in Australia. I guess theres and upside though, if we could freely import these plants and CV's, it would make them less appealing i guess because there is so much to choose from, where as now we take what ever plant we can get, it's sort of like a treasure hunt.
Back to top Go down
lewis

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Carlo & Daniele wrote:
@ lewis: digitostigma are from febraury 2007, the photo was taken in september 2008, in flower for the first time.
hopefully mine will flower eventually.
here it is when i got it a few months ago:
Hello from Italy! Stuff_11
and now:
Hello from Italy! Digi_010
growth rate doesn't seem to be that slow, nice fat fourth tubercle in the middle coming through.
may i ask for advice, as im a newbie to growing these, how do you grow them well on their own roots? i don't really know what i'm doing, im just giving it standard cactus treatment. do you soak it all summer like a leuchtenbergia? or let it dry completely between waterings? lots of fertiliser? are they sensitive and/or difficult? they seem to like shade, correct?
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 1:18 am

We kept these two seedling almost dry during past winter and they developed very good taproot. They growed well during past summer and flowered for the first time in september. They are in 5,5 x 5,5 x 8 cm pots. We use the same treatment as other cactus and they are quite strong plants. As they have a good root they can stay dry for a quite long period (as ariocarpus we think); maybe some tubercles will dry up but after it will produce new ones. During summer we give them water and when the soil is dry we give it onother time. No chemical fertiliser, only natural one.
About shade: they grow greener not in full sun (we use a "shading tissue" on the greenhouse, do not know what is it correct name), but they need light like other "white" astrophytums.
Back to top Go down
lewis

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 am

^Thanks heaps for the advice. Smile Much appreciated, great info.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 8:38 am

Carlo & Daniele wrote:
We kept these two seedling almost dry during past winter and they developed very good taproot. They growed well during past summer and flowered for the first time in september. They are in 5,5 x 5,5 x 8 cm pots. We use the same treatment as other cactus and they are quite strong plants. As they have a good root they can stay dry for a quite long period (as ariocarpus we think); maybe some tubercles will dry up but after it will produce new ones. During summer we give them water and when the soil is dry we give it onother time. No chemical fertiliser, only natural one.
About shade: they grow greener not in full sun (we use a "shading tissue" on the greenhouse, do not know what is it correct name), but they need light like other "white" astrophytums.

Thanks for the tips guys, it's very much appreciated.
I still haven't got this plant, I gues it wont take long for them to be more common. Laughing
Back to top Go down
lewis

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 am

yep, as more propagating gets under way the plant will gradually make the transition to having a permanent place in the hobby. although i think at least in the short-term future it will remain as a choice collectors plant, probably not as common as a domestic ornatum or myriostigma. Unless some commercial nursery in Korea starts mass-producing them by grafting like they do with the albino Gymno mihanovichii's and so the digis start appearing at Bunnings and K-mart. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from Italy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Italy!   Hello from Italy! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Italy!
Page 1 of 1