Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Some of my epiphyllums Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Some of my epiphyllums Empty

Some of my epiphyllums

Go down 
+3
KanJe
Hellonasty
gilligan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi, all...

My epi's have just started flowering, thought i'd share a few Smile

Some of my epiphyllums Dsc04710

Some of my epiphyllums Dsc05010

Some of my epiphyllums Dsc05011

Some of my epiphyllums Dsc04711

Hope you enjoy Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 pm

They sure make a nice flower. I was going to use them as grafting stocks but after some research found they were a poor performer.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 pm

They are really nice gilligan.

The form kind of riminds me of Tricho or Echinopsis flowers...
Does any one else see it?
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 11:45 pm

Those flowers are absolutely magnificent.

I must confess; I've never found Epiphylum plants terribly attractive (Is it because they're not particularly cactus-like? I wonder...), however the flowers are among the best out there.

Quote :
The form kind of riminds me of Tricho or Echinopsis flowers...
Does any one else see it?

Yeah, a little bit. The white variant, in particular, has a touch of the Echinopsis about it.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 7:27 am

Quote :
I must confess; I've never found Epiphylum
plants terribly attractive (Is it because they're not particularly
cactus-like? I wonder...), however the flowers are among the best out
there.

tis true.....but seeing those pictures give me the urge to go shopping...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 10:01 am

Glad i could give someone the bug Smile

I love these guys as much as any other cactus... give them a hanging pot, put it in a tree and leave them to do their own thing, they love it...

They are a spectactular flower too... I have tried to pollinate them, hopefully i'll get some form of a cross happening...
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Some of my epiphyllums Merc_010
Some of my epiphyllums Merc_011
its a red one. Smile
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 pm

wanna trade some cuts? I haven't got a red one, that's purrrrrtttty! Smile
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 3:35 pm

They are stunning Lewis, so vibrant. Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:32 pm

KanJe wrote:
They are stunning Lewis, so vibrant. Shocked
indeed, incredibly bright. worth the $2.50 i paid for it at a weekend market im thinking.
gilligan i'd trade cuttings but this plant is in itself just a bunch of small rooted cuttings with a few branches. when it grows sure thing. i don't really have many epis or epiphytic cacti in general.. but they're growing on me. although i do have a few more weekend market bargain epis budding up now so i'll post pics when they open. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 1:21 am

what a steal! we paid $60 CDN a long time ago for a nice red flowered epi...but it was huge. by we i dont mean me.

very nice cacti!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 8:44 am

Some of my epiphyllums Epis_010
the little red one picturd above is at it again. its small by epi standards, only about 8cms across.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 am

Some of my epiphyllums Epis_011
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_012
this is a different red one. more rounded flower petals, deeper red and a bigger flower @ about 13cms across. more to come!

Last edited by lewis on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 9:01 am

and this orange one ive been waiting to open for awhile. opened last night.
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_013
^heres a night pic when it first opened. the scent is great!

Some of my epiphyllums Epis_014
and here it is this morning.
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_015
the flower is massive. over 20cms across! the poor plant was seriously neglected and nearly dead when i got it.. bit of shade, water and food and new growth and flowers! theres another bud coming.
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_017
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_016
none of these epis have flowered before so they were a pleasant surprise. theres also another mystery one that has a big green bud developing so it will be interesting to see what colour it is. Smile
i know ill be heading back to the weekend market to see what other epis i can find. these were all $2.50 ea.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 11:50 am

well, i was able to pollinate the flower, the fruits seem to be setting...

Crossed the pink with the white, pink with a dusty orangy one (still yet to post pic of it) the fluro pink with the dusty orange and the dusty orange with the white...

once the seeds set (*if and when) if people are interested, let me know, i'll send some out... Smile

I'm propping up a heap of my epi cuts shortly, now flowers are done with Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 pm

gilligan the epiphy hybrider !! Good work.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 pm

nope, the dusty orange one is there, i did post it...

well see if they set seed Smile
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 pm

HN - grin - i needed to see if it worked, i tried setting the fruits with their own flowers, no go... cross poll seems to have worked... Smile
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm

i went back to the weekend market and got this hanging basket score:
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_019
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_020
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_021"
Some of my epiphyllums Epis_022
theres two types, the pink is Disocactus/Nopalxochia phyllanthoides cv. 'German Empress' and the red is Epiphyllum/Disocactus/Nopalxochia ackermannii.

Some of my epiphyllums Acker_10
2 flowers open on the E.ackermannii out the front of my house.
looking into it this is interesting. apparently all of the plants with big coloured blooms referred to as 'Epiphyllum' in cultivation are hybrids between these two species (phyllantoides+ackermannii) and other diurnal coloured flowering species of Nopaxochia/Disocactus with members of the real genus Epiphyllum.. which have white noctural often scented flowers, many of which are very rare in cultivation in their pure botanical species form as a result of indiscriminate cross breeding over the decades. (only a few such as E.oxypetalum and anguliger remain common). and apparently all ackermanniis in cultivation are actually hybrids in themselves being confused with a seldom cultivated botanical species of the same name.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Cool - i can put a name to the pink one now, good stuff lewis! That is a wicked score...

Anyone who wants a small rooted cutting or two of the pink one Disocactus/Nopalxochia phyllanthoides cv. 'German Empress', let me know, i've got a few ready to go - can trade for something small (seeds, small pups, what have you...)
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 am

Although Epi's are an ugly plant, once they flower they really grow on you. I only have the red variety, and a white one which is a first time bloomer. Also i stolen little piece which ive had for like 4 years and its only grown one branch seeing it is in a tiny pot. I plan on getting a heap of different cuts then putting them in one pot so theyre all diff colours.

One problem though, no matter where i put them, they keep getting burnt and go very limp, where the stems should be sort of plump.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 am

i think the 'ugliness' can be minimised if you keep them well fed and watered over the warmer months with as much shade as possible in our climate. they look much more natural this way (remembering they are 'jungle cacti' that grow epiphytically in the wild). then again plants grown hard in the sun (whilst 'uglier') do flower much more enthusiastically than those lush healthy looking ones grown shaded. so if you want blooms position in them in the sun, keep underpotted, underwatered, under fed etc. and hide the resultant near dead looking, severely burned specimen for 11 months of the year away from sight and bring it out and proudly display it for the -1 month when it is bloom. Smile

Last edited by lewis on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 4:01 pm

gilligan wrote:
Cool - i can put a name to the pink one now, good stuff lewis! That is a wicked score...

Anyone who wants a small rooted cutting or two of the pink one Disocactus/Nopalxochia phyllanthoides cv. 'German Empress', let me know, i've got a few ready to go - can trade for something small (seeds, small pups, what have you...)
whoops i made a mistake. its actually just Disocactus/Nopalxochia phyllanthoides. 'German empress' is the common name for the species not a cultivar name in this case. actually there seems to be a fair bit of confusion in the literature regarding this plant. its a nice one in any case.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 am

the fruit from the pink x dusty orange... WOOT!

Some of my epiphyllums Fruiti10
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 12:38 pm

OK... well i finally got some ripe fruit... I ate two of them (really nice guava/pineapple taste to it) but have a fair few seeds from the other one. I've also still got 4 fruit ripening on the others...

SO! IF people are interested, i have some to give away... the dusky orange/white is ready, the dusky/pink is still ripening and the pink/white is still ripening...

PM me with your addy, let me know which one what you want and when i see the number of people wanting each, i'll see what i can send out... First in best dressed Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some of my epiphyllums   Some of my epiphyllums Empty

Back to top Go down

Some of my epiphyllums
Page 1 of 1