Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Empty

Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi all,
I recently planted a number of these seeds and found that about 6 of them have germinated. They are tiny, smaller than a pin head after 4 months. Surprisingly I didn't know that they were there for a while and stopped watering. I read that they can be left to dry out completely as seedlinds and dehydrate, but then rehydrate with some water and continue growing fine - they don't miss a heart beat.

I've also heard that they can be left in plastic bags for up to two years and all but ignored.
Has anyone had any experience growing these beauties - I believe that they are the smallest species of all the cacti's.

(would include a pic, but the dots would make a pathetic photo)

regards,

Calycium
Back to top Go down
Haga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 pm

thanks for the post calycium.

i dont have any but am going to get some seeds now. they look like a really nice cactus.

here is a cool graft i found a picture of on the net

Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds 41JA3su6Q2L._AA280_
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Haga,
and welcome. Yeah the blossfeldias are really cool - really small. Hoping that mine get through the winter okay. But they are the greenhouse in a plastic tub.

cheers,
Calycium
Back to top Go down
hornet

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 6:27 pm

i have about 100 seeds of this species, could someone give me tips on germinating them and their cultivation?
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm

Same as the way to grow lithops - listed in a different part of the forum - but only have a few mm of sand. Leave it in the baggie for up to 2 years. open the bag every month to give them air, and some fresh water - then close it again.
They are sooooo sloooooow growing it will take them forever.
Great thing is that they can dry out as well and then "come back to life" with a dose of water.
Back to top Go down
hornet

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 11:30 am

took your advice and 1 month after planting have 1 seedling up, hopefully more to come
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 11:43 am

well done hornet, just keep at it, worse case, only one will grow - best you'll have a few more (that at this stage you might not really distinguish from grains of sand)
Back to top Go down
hornet

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 1:05 pm

the one i can see is easy to tell apart, bout the size of a sand grain but green lol
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:14 pm

i just put some blossfeldias in my propagator. using the baggie method, my first time ever using that technique. i sifted the soil mix about 5 times before use to make sure there are no big particles. then sow the seed on the surface with minimal - no covering. then mist away! how long do they usually take to germinate?
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Baggies are easy Smile just make sure the soil has drain well before you put them in.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 pm

yep, sounds like i did it correctly. so if they germinate they can live in there for up to 2 years? wow, thats quite a while.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 pm

While 2 years sounds forever - you can open the baggie and have a look. I have one and its the size of a pin head now - has doubled in size over the last few months and I don't need the hubble telescope to see it.

Last edited by calycium on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 pm

I might add that the only one that grew was in a depression in the soil. Next time I will be tempted to make small bumps in one half of the pot as an experiment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds   Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Blossfeldia Lilliputana seeds
Page 1 of 1