Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
how young is too young for grafting? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
how young is too young for grafting? Empty

how young is too young for grafting?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
misteek

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: how young is too young for grafting?   how young is too young for grafting? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 am

hello,

does anyone have any idea about how young is too young when grafting? i read somewhere you can graft within a couple of weeks (of germination) but not sure if that would be a good idea?

anyway, any info would be appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: how young is too young for grafting?   how young is too young for grafting? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Hey Misteek,

It really depends on SP and the stock your using. Using Lophophora and Pereskiopsis I have sucessfully grafted 7 day old seedlings without too much touble. I have also seen people graft week old Astrophytum seedlings to Tricho and been sucessful.

From my exprience with grafting "generally" Perekiopsis is the best for doing seedlings. 3 to 4 week old seedlings seems to be the most sucessful. The sucess rate drops as you go younger, and interestingly enough much older say 3 or 4 monts is again less sucessful. This is only my exprience in my climate and may not be the same for you.

HN
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: how young is too young for grafting?   how young is too young for grafting? EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 11:23 pm

skinny scions need skinny stocks and fat scions need fatter stocks. i think old scions will graft fine, but not to pereskiopsis.

to answer the question, there is never too young, so long as your talented enough Smile and many people are not, including myself. for pereskiopsis i wat a week to a month generally. for hylocereus i wait until the scion reaches about 1-2 cm, for myrtles and trichos i wait until they are 2+ cm ideally.

and just like HN said, your climate will paly a role as well Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: how young is too young for grafting?   how young is too young for grafting? EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 pm

i usually end up waiting around 2 or so weeks before even looking at grafting with seeds, gives the seeds a little more time to get used to being alive, and get that little bit sturdier... I def agree with the climate theory, and the hardening them off after the humidity plays a big role as well... The only lophs i've lost are due to coming straight out of the humidity tent and into the general atmosphere - they shrivelled pretty quickly...

fatter stocks are pretty easy, i've had around 95% - the ones i've lost i either knocked off after the graft took, or i left them in the humidity chamber to long and they went to mush...

None of my ario/peres have taken as yet - i've only tried 4 of these though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how young is too young for grafting?   how young is too young for grafting? Empty

Back to top Go down

how young is too young for grafting?
Page 1 of 1