Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Last seasons seedlings Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Last seasons seedlings Empty

Last seasons seedlings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 pm

I actually had a longer post but my computer decided to delete it for me. Lovely machine Mad

Anyway, here is some pics:

Last seasons seedlings 100_0776

Last seasons seedlings 100_0785

Last seasons seedlings 100_0780

Last seasons seedlings 100_0777

Last seasons seedlings 100_0778

These are my first attempts at germinating cactus from seed, this season will be better Wink

Last edited by trigonus on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Good work Trig and they all look real healthy especially for this time of year. What sp are the little Astros ?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Cheers HN, am really surprised actually as it's pretty crap here for plants in the winter, I just kept them moist but not soaked all winter and they have even grown a bit, no bottom heat or anything, all out in my hothouse(which is bloody cold right now Rolling Eyes )

They are just plain old Astro asterias (Texas?? Can't remember, would have to check out the label, definitey A asterias though) these guys were started at the end of summer and survived the winter no problems, gee cacti can be tough little buggers!
Might put up a few more pics tomorrow, I have more seedlings growing.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 9:15 am

Excellent trig! How old are the lil trichos? you put the seeds down in 07 or 08?

I guess you have a good location for seedlings, living in the shade and all Razz
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Smartarse!!! Yeah mostly 07, some were 08, they would probably be larger but many got transplanted due to being in a crappy mix. In a coupla weeks it will be so hot an sunny that things will have to be put under cover etc. really annoying living on a south facing slope grrr.

Lotsa trichos in there PD Wink got glauca, tersheckii, spach, schikendantzii, pachanoi, lots of bridgies, some peru, pasacana, SS02 X Juul's Giant, bridge X kimura's giant, bridge X luther burbank, p X sp, b X pach, yeah I went abit trich crazy, got alot of other stuff, this season there will be more mexicans, oh yeah!!
Back to top Go down
intense_cutn

intense_cutn

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 10:19 pm

nice seedlings mate, can't wait till this sun come out so mine can get a bit bigger.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 10:28 pm

trigonus wrote:

Lotsa trichos in there PD Wink got glauca, tersheckii, spach, schikendantzii, pachanoi, lots of bridgies, some peru, pasacana, SS02 X Juul's Giant, bridge X kimura's giant, bridge X luther burbank, p X sp, b X pach, yeah I went abit trich crazy, got alot of other stuff, this season there will be more mexicans, oh yeah!!

If you don't mind me asking..?
where did you get the fancy Tricho seeds from? SS02 X Juul's Giant, bridge X kimura's giant, bridge X luther burbank,

I would like to grow some of those Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm

I got them from D @ Herbalistics in a trade except the SS02 X Juul's G which came from somewhere else, though can't remember now. If you request a catalogue from Sacred Succulents in the US they have many more unusual Tricho hybrids available, well unusual for us Aussie grower's anyway Wink

They still have some here though:

http://www.herbalistics.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=3_24
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 12:49 pm

Oh and don't put them in the sun yet intense, they will burn.

Ask PD about how he gets his last season seedlings to 10cm+ though, he is the master of Tricho seed germination. Suspect

What's your secret PD mate?
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 4:43 pm

well, i could go on and on about how i go about growing my trichos from seed but it would all be hot air. Truth is im still trying to work out the best way to go about it and those 10cm+ seedlings you talk of are just a stroke of good fortune so far, although it taught me a bit more. You may think im a master but try tellin that to the hundreds of tricho seedlings i have fried with too much light, heat or not enuff moisture. I think at present im still trying to find a good method that im comfortable/satisfied with which is mainly a greenhouse setting using natural light rather than fluoro or HID lighting, this being the first year doing so and going rather swimmingly i may add.................fingers crossed for summer.

moisture - they like it lots
roots - wont start really growing till they have a good amount of these
size - dont prick them lil babies out too quick
light - dont be in too much of a rush to show em tha sun
nutes - they love em
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Sounds like common sense.

I have just drilled holes in most of my takeaway containers and taped the holes like you suggested. Makes more and more sense when I think about it.

I reckon natural light is the go, I have never raised seedlings under lights and I have had decent results so far.

It's good that you are trialling all these methods as we can all learn from your mistakes Wink

Still think your the master though cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last seasons seedlings   Last seasons seedlings Empty

Back to top Go down

Last seasons seedlings
Page 1 of 1