Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Empty

fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 6:12 pm

wondering if I should fertilise to get a better colour or is this the correct colour of the body for this cactus.some online pics show it to be greener.. plant had been growing outdoors and probably had no fertilizing for some time.
Im hopeful for flowers as the stacks get higher and they are growing OK. still in same soil that it came in and Ive just put the damaged original pot into a stronger pot for fear of knocking off the top of the plant. Some of the smaller plants have smaller spines, does anyone know the ID of these .Cheers
fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus 2562975031_36a644388c
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Yes they are usually greener. Loathe to say it as cacti aren't too fond of Nitrogen feed, but looks like it might need a dose of Nitrogen to green it up a bit. See what others say first though. I may be wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Lois they look fine to me from that shot Smile

If it wasn't dark I would take a photo of mine but better still I will find pic of Bruce's.

The green you can see is a thistle growing behind it. They are really a sort of browny grey. This one of Bruces was taken at the end of December and you can see the new growth is quite brown.

fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Bruces13

The smaller ones are also a tephrocactus but don't have a name for mine either
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 7:04 pm

finally found a pic online of the flower thanks for the quick replies. Lois
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/113274/
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Must be more green in youth and more greyish in maturity. Never had too much luck with the genus, groovy plants though Cool
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Stutters

Stutters

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 11:57 am

Very nice Lois. It looks fine to me... actually, it looks bloody brilliant. I admire anyone who can grow these to over three stories high, something I haven't been able to achieve as yet Embarassed
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Lois saw Bruce today and we were discussing this and looking at his different aged plants and the colour does vary.

If grown in a greenhouse they are going to be quite green compared to ones outside Smile

The smaller one he has named as tephrocactus articulatus and it seems to be right
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Gracie yours are fine. actually your specimen is a beauty. the colouring is perfectly natural. feed it next spring to get some good growth happening.

Stutters wrote:
It looks fine to me... actually, it looks bloody brilliant. I admire anyone who can grow these to over three stories high, something I haven't been able to achieve as yet Embarassed

haha EXACTLY!! the most fragile cactus you can get! i average 2-3 segments tall before the inevitable collapse. good for propagating though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus   fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus Empty

Back to top Go down

fertilising?? of Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus
Page 1 of 1