Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Time to face the elements?  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Time to face the elements?  Empty

Time to face the elements?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 am

Good morning folks!

So it is still bitterly cold in Melbourne but the days are slowly becoming longer, my cacti have all been living in the garage next to the window for about 2 months now, their last drink was on the 13th of June, for some it has been a little longer as they were potted up a little before then. Just wondering if it would be a good time to bring them back outside?
I still won't be watering them until it starts to warm up, but was thinking the extra sun might do them good and help to wake them up before they get their first drink.
Their outside home does pose the risk of them getting rained on a little.
A fare few of my mamms have buds despite not being watered for several months now.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 11:07 am

As long as you don't get any frosts they should be fine. Just remember to introduce them to stronger light a little bit at a time. Sunburn is nasty.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 12:09 pm

We have had a couple of frosts this winter, only a few nasty ones.
Introducing them to sunlight slowly was partly the reason I am considering moving them now, the light isn't too strong so should be a nice intro before spring kicks in. On the flip side though it is still getting down to 1/2 degrees nearly every morning.
The garage is fairly dark, they only get bright light a few hours each day. So will take time to acclimate them to outside light.
Might just be safer to wait a couple more weeks, it'll only take one frost to inflict some serious damage to some of them.
They are all bone dry so guess their cold tolerance would be much greater than if they were moist?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Yeah that's right. Less water to freeze.

The growing season has started for my plants already. But being this far north that is no surprise. If you are concerned about the cold then I would wait a bit longer. As for the light the best way is to put them out with a bit of shade cloth over them for a little while. I tend to to leave my most precious ones under shade cloth 24/7. Better to have slow growth then irreparable sunburn.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Very good point, will have to devise some sort of cover. Most of them were fully exposed and didn't show any signs of burning but I only acquired my plants in late summer so they haven't really had to bare the brunt of a scorching summer. I know some of them will take full sun but I have a few that I know of that would probably do better with some cover, like my gymno's and astro's. I'm a bit ignorant in that I haven't fully researched each plant that I have, got a little overwhelming when I was ordering upwards of 20 at a time. I've now got about 130 plants so have no idea when I'll get around to educating myself.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 3:56 pm

It takes time. There are still plants in my collection I haven't I.D'ed yet and I only have a small collection.

Anything that looks round, green and plump with little or no spines will probably burn really well. Gymno's astros' and loph's in that category.

Anything that is heavily covered in spines or has a thick waxy or hairy layer is usually the most resistant to burning. Copiapoa, epithelantha, pilosocereus etc.

Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 10:52 pm

130 plants man you haven't wasted any time building up a collection! I struggle to find room for the ones I have, most live outside under a couple of sheets of clear laser-light in winter to protect from rain and frost but its open on the sides. Haven't had any issues with Melbourne cold but last year a mouse had a nibble on a Gymo baldianum before I could convince it to switch to a ratsack-enhanced fibre diet. (-;

That said I did bring in the Melocactus & a nice pot of Frithia Pulcra both of which I wasn't confident with down to zero degrees. I hope the move out goes well but do be very careful, I've had plants go pink / red even in middle of winder on sunny days when moving them around and often its too late by the time you notice.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 am

The collection has grown very quickly over the last few months, I do have to do a lot more research. For the most part I know their water requirements but would like to establish the best soil mix for each type.
I'll have to make sure the ones with few to no spines are more shaded.

Hydro, your just up the road from me! Good to know cacti can handle our weather.
My Melos have been inside too, wasn't confident with the cold either.
Have only had a few very minor nibbles from rodents, I do have 3 dogs on constant patrol though so guess that helps. Will still be putting out some "treats" for them just to be on the safe side.

I've done a few YouTube videos of my collection can post the link if anyone is interested.

Will make the move today, fingers crossed it all goes well.
I'm absolutely itching to give my plants a drink, some have wrinkled up so much and look miserable.

Seems winter is slowly making it's exit and IMO not a moment too soon!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 8:09 am

For sure Walker87. Put the link up. I'm always interested in seeing other collections.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 am

Hopefully the link works, this is a slideshow I did. Will be making another one today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VYt3d8nlcUc

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 am

Nice slide show!

Do you know what the plant is @ 3:17. I have one very similar about the size of a grape fruit and still havent I.D'ed it yet. I Think its a mammillaria but species name still eludes me.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Thank-you.
The plant at 3:17 I have labelled as Mammillaria Apozalensis V. Saltensis
I ordered it from Lester Meyers. It's a great looking plant, really stands out compared to other mamms because it looks so different to them.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Sweet thanks for that. I'll post a pic of the one I have at home. Finally have a lead on the bloody thing.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Time to face the elements?  Img_0410
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Wow, what a beauty!
I'd be inclined to say they are the same type, although I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

hydrophobe

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Nice Clip and collection you have there! Just wait for them to get bigger and the pot diameters go up and you will have no back yard to put them in before you know it. Maybe when your seedlings get a little bigger we can swap some excess plants. Come spring I'll be potting up some of my seedlings and I won't be needing more than a few of each.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks hydro,
Yes would definitely consider swapping some plants. I may find it a little difficult as I've babied the seedlings over the past few months and think it will be a struggle to see them go but I will definitely have a few too many of certain types.
My seedlings are all still extremely small, at best it will be at least 2-3 months before they are anywhere near a manageable size.
What types of seedlings do you have?
I've planted a massive assortment. Think I posted the list a little while ago.
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

hydrophobe

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 7:00 pm

my seedlings are only 9 months or so old in most cases also so will need some time to plump up. I planted

Echinocereus
- knippelianus reyesii
- nivosus
- polyacanthus
- rigdissimus
- one or two other sp.
Some assorted Rebutia
Gymnocalycium
- damsii
- calochorum
Copiapoa tenuissima
copiapoa cinerea - planted 4, 3 germinated, one munched by a slug = gone. just slime trail... );
Astro capricorne niveum
Astro capricorne myristigma-ornamentum-senile - bad germination rate on this one ):

I also have an assortment of prodia sp that have multiplied.

I'll probably order and plant some more seeds in the next month or two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to face the elements?    Time to face the elements?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Time to face the elements?
Page 1 of 1