Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
ID Please.....  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
ID Please.....  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
ID Please.....  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
ID Please.....  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
ID Please.....  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
ID Please.....  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
ID Please.....  Empty

ID Please.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Hey all,

I don't ask for many ID's these days but thought I would throw this one out there and see what people think. I don't want to add too many details about where it came from however a few points of interest.

1. I didn't grow the plant, I personally grow nearly all my plants but this one was through a trade.

2. I was told it was seed grown from seed sourced OS. I have been told the species but I want to hear your opinions first.

Last but not least I think I have a pretty good idea of the ID myself Smile

Please your thoughts ?

HN

ID Please.....  13480679374_6fefe65f22_c
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Hey HN,

Nice specimen there!!

I think we have the exact plant, i bought it as Trichocereus Peruvianus Crest, that's what the tag said.

I would think its a Trichocereus Peruvianus Crest.

The spines on yours seem a little darker than mine, doubt it would make much of a difference.

I think they have been around for about 5 years that i know of, i saw a few sell on ebay for about 250-400 a long time ago, thats crazy!!!
ID Please.....  101_2618
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 5:52 pm

At first glance it looks like a peruvianus but I'd lean a little more towards pachanoi. Lol but i'm not even close to being an expert. Nice plant though.
Back to top Go down
fallow

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-03-29

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm

bridgesii!! Nice one.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 1:10 am

Ok thanks for your input. A little more info, the grower (who some people may know, but I will keep anon unless he wishes) stated the seed was labelled Trichocereus Pachanoi and it was grown by him in the last couple of years. As far as I'm aware it is not a clone of the original T.Peru crest doing the rounds.

@Ricky, I don't think they are the same plants, as stated this was seed grown from Pachanoi seed.

My concern is that in this early stage it can be difficult to tell the difference between a Cereus Crest and a Tricho Crest, I was promised this is a Tricho.

The best way to tell now I guess is graft a few sections and see how it progresses, it should become much larger, fatter and the areoles should become more woolly.

If is truly is a seed grown T.Pach I'm quite excited about it. I have a few different Peru/Bridge monsters and crests but no Pachanoi.

Interesting to note is that most seed grown Pachanoi from O/S will have quite a different look to the usual PC Pachanoi we are used to here in Australia.

@fallow, I can't see any Bridgesii in there ? any info

HN
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 12:05 pm

The presence of a particular unmentionable characteristic would definitively rule out the cereus option.
Maybe a cluey chemistry or forensics uni student could help with that one.

The positioning of the spines and areoles around the inner most part of the apex look similar to some young seed grown pachanoi's I have here. Also of OS origin.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Probably nothing to this but the areoles remind me of Stenocereus spp., especialy S. treleasei...

But I have very little knowledge of crests. What size is it?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:22 am

150mm round pot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ID Please.....  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Please.....    ID Please.....  Empty

Back to top Go down

ID Please.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information :: Cactus & Succulent Identification-
Jump to: