Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Heating for cacti seed Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Heating for cacti seed Empty

Heating for cacti seed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Have been looking at different means of heating for when I plant my cacti seeds.
Heat pads, heating cable, etc
Is it absolutely necessary or will a warm spot inside suffice for cacti seeds?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 8:56 pm

It really depends on what species you are growing and their growing conditions. If inside give them good light. Heating can speed up germination but may not be necessary depending on the species. Regardless, try to make sure that the substrate is sterile otherwise the young seedlings could be overtaken or destroyed by some other organism.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 8:00 am

Thank you for the reply, my house stays fairly warm and the other half loves switching the heater on (ducted) so I guess temp wise I should be fine then.
Perhaps I will consider constructing a heater box further down the track.
In terms of sterilizing the media, I just intended to use the oven and slow roast the media lol.
Do you know if perlite is sterile or does it require additional treatment?
I've done some research and intend on using a mix of sifted potting mix, coco coir, perlite and sand for my mix. Do you think that sounds ok?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 9:50 pm

I haven't grown very many seeds myself (only a few columnars and vine-like cacti) and don't know the particulars about media. It is a good idea not to put too much organic material in because fungus gnats love that stuff (or if you're doing that then do an inorganic layer on top). I think pearlite is sterile but I've never used it, or even seen it for sale so I can't recommend for or against it.

If they are going to be directly in front of the heater then make sure they are covered so they don't dry out too much.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am

I mixed the media up and put it in the oven for an hour so hopefully that will kill any nasties. I also sifted out all the big particles from the potting mix, the seeds only cost me 15 so it won't be a huge loss if things don't work out.
I'm going to use takeaway containers with the lids on so they don't dry out, will have to keep an eye on the moisture levels. Guess it's all a learning experience though.
Will keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 pm

seeds are super easy to germinate. it is adapting seedlings to deal with natural enviroment and condition that is the hard part.

a seed will germinate with heat/water and no light.
also germinate with water/light and no heat.
dont think heat/light and no water will work though.

your on the right track.
my suggestions would be... dont use the lid that comes with the chinese takeaway boxes. use good old cling wrap and either an elastic band or fashion something similar out of elastic.

that and introduce your water to the container over a couple of days without soaking the mix and flooding the container. one you have a nice humid mix. then add your seeds.

expect seeds to germinate randomly also. i have found with heaps of differant species the seeds germinate at a largly varible rate. for example out of 20 seeds you might see ten pop at once after 7 days. then 2 more 3 days later... then 1 or 2 spread across the next 2 weeks... bear in mind it is not desirable to keep the seedlings saturated in the high humidity for to long...
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reply,
It will be my first attempt so I am viewing it more so as a learning experience and do not have the highest hopes for getting everything right.
My hope is to acquire a few plants and learn along the way.
There is only one species I am worried about as I cannot find very much information on raising from seed, the others I have found sufficient information to be confident in my approach (to a degree)

I had planned on using the takeaway lids but will switch to cling wrap now.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

reason for using wrap.

after your seedlings appear you can puncture a hole with ease and begin the process of aclimatization and during this phaze you will slowly increase the amount of normal reality that breaches the seed germinating chamber.

the idea is that eventually all the seedling can endure full blown reality and live in a garden or greenhouse with many other breeds of plant species and achieve a happy, healthy lifestyle that would not specificaly exclude reproduction.
it is during this time that a spectator may relinquish such benifits as joy, fullfilment, the need for speed or intence green thumb syndrome.
i recomend seed sowing with beer not to keep slugs at bay but mostly to stare in the face of drunkeness and really enjoy the hot weather.
i hope this advice helps some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heating for cacti seed   Heating for cacti seed Empty

Back to top Go down

Heating for cacti seed
Page 1 of 1