Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Empty

Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 2:48 am

Hi all,
this may seem a little silly to most of you, but to the newbies around who like I did are buying a whole bunch of expensive pots and stuff from Bunnings ect STOP! Find out when roadside collection is and plan accordingly.

I just did a quick round of the road side collection in the suburb where I work and came back with about 60 pots of various sizes in plastic and terracotta (I left probably 200 behind) a few seedling trays, a whole new garden tool kit (shovel, pick axe, watering can ect) a glass fish tank (For my Pere, carnivorous plants and seedlings to live in) 30 odd meters of shade cloth - which I was about to go and buy so I could build a sun shelter and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Like I said, probably useless info to most of you, but if it saves someone some money then it was worth it.

TC
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

It is also much better for the environment, top job on recycling Smile
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 pm

That to; reduce, reuse, recycle.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Good score TC. Another idea is local nurseries often turf trailer loads of pots from dead stock and sometimes trays and other useful items. I'm lucky to have a friend who owns a nursery and she keeps me pretty well stocked for most of my pots. A bit of a scrub and they're as good as new.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Someone "recycled" a nice glaced terracotta pot and accompanying dwarf lemon tree from my front porch not to long ago Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:00 am

Quote :
Someone "recycled" a nice glaced terracotta pot and accompanying dwarf lemon tree from my front porch not to long ago
That is very unfortunate. If I'm ever in NSW I'll keep my eye out for any lemon thieves!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 2:18 pm

An old fashioned Lemon heist, terrible news.
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

Quote :
An old fashioned Lemon heist, terrible news.
This made me laugh so hard while I was eating breakfast i snorted out some milk. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Lol Smile
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

lol Laughing 
Next time I get a nice pot I'm bolting the to the porch, till then it's a cheapo plastic one.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Only problem is that the scumbag knows what you had and most likely be back for more.
You could always put a large brick in the bottom of a nice heavy pot and attach a cable or chain to it, so when they start running/walking away with it, it will tension and with any luck land strait on there feet!!!!  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I'd rather plant some Opuntia or cholla in the gardenbed infront of the porch Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:50 pm

SnowFella wrote:
I'd rather plant some Opuntia or cholla in the gardenbed infront of the porch Twisted Evil 
hehehe so evil.... I love it !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection   Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection Empty

Back to top Go down

Best free gardening stuff - roadside collection
Page 1 of 1