Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
What's missing? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
What's missing? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
What's missing? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
What's missing? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
What's missing? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
What's missing? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
What's missing? Empty

What's missing?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

I recently picked up a few dozen new cacti at a sale and am in the process of identifying them and potting them up as many are waterlocked and/or have ants nesting in the pot. A few have remains of ID labels and if anyone can help with suggestions as to the missing half of a label I'd be grateful.
......bivia
......eleana
......nguisrina

is what is legible on the label. The cactus is heavily spined with thick, curves spines and looks globose-cylindrical in habit. It's so thick with spines the green can barely be seen beneath. It hasn't flowered yet so no help there.
I figure it must be an echinopsis (lobivia) but couldn't find a match on the id guide. Hoping to get some pictures in the future but if anyone can fill in the gap it'd be very helpful.Question 
Back to top Go down
majcka

majcka

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-06-01

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Lobivia tiegeliana maybe? Only the last word puzzles me.
Back to top Go down
https://picasaweb.google.com/home
supergirl

supergirl

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks Majcka for the suggestion. It's definitely possible. I'll probably have to wait for some flowers to get a more definite id. I had the same wonder as to what might the last word be. Beautiful plant so it doesn't really matter what it's called, just makes it easier when trying to label things. Might get some pictures up when I get a better camera.
Cheers.
sunny 
Back to top Go down
majcka

majcka

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 am

I can help you a bit with my own pics. One is with flower (half of it actually) and once without it:

What's missing? Lobivi10

What's missing? Lobivi11

If it looks something like that, than it must be it. My piece is a var. cinnabarina.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Does look quite similar, flowering will be the best tell when it gets around to it. Don't suppose you can name the cactus that mutant is using as an avatar? That's another that I have a couple of which I haven't ID'd yet. I get too distracted when hunting out species ids and am always picking up plants without names so it's not a very useful combination.
Question 
Back to top Go down
majcka

majcka

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 pm

If you mean the member named Mutant it is an Echinofossulocactus. They are usually hard to name right, because they are so simmilar. They usually are E. multicoctatus or E. crispatus. Some prefer to call them Stenocactus though.

See link:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINOFOSSULOCACTUS/Echinofossulocactus_multicostatus/Echinofossulocactus_multicostatus/echinofossulocactus_multicostatus.htm
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks, very handy to narrow down a name for me. Like I said I've got heaps without names and am slowly picking them off but without a decent camera to put some pictures up it can be a slow process so I am very appreciative of your assistance.
Back to top Go down
majcka

majcka

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 pm

No sweat. i was a beginner myself not so long ago. Actually I still have a long way to walk to an expert area. Laughing 

I only grow cacti for 2,5 years now. bounce 
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 pm

i have a few cactus books and has helped me out heaps or browsing the internet, but nothing would be better that photos, good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's missing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's missing?   What's missing? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's missing?
Page 1 of 1