Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Avoiding glochid attachment? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Avoiding glochid attachment? Empty

Avoiding glochid attachment?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Sometimes when we badly handle Opuntioidae cacti we get a bad memory of it.
But are there ways to avoid it?

Glochids are nasty for many reasons but one is their stealth. You know a big spikey cactus is going to be painful, but those long spines might actually protect one from getting stuck by glochids if they're dense enough. Are there Opuntiads with spines so long that the glochids are effectively harmless?

And for those short spined ones, will glochids grow back if you deliberately rub them off?
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Whenever I've repotted the treacherous species, I found that making use of thick leaved weeds from the garden are great to protect from hazard. Not sure the name of the weed but pretty much any that have leaves thicker than the length of the glochids will do. All the nasties end up stuck in the disposable weed leaves rather than in me. Works a treat.
As for deliberately scraping them off, I don't think I could conscience doing that. They may be nasty but they are an integral part of the species to be admired from a position of safety.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Do they all even have bad ones? the description in The Cactaceae of O. ficus-indica says "...glochids yellow, numerous, soon dropping off...". Does that mean that an adult pad can be handled safely?

And some time ago I deliberately got stuck by a Pereskiopsis and found they came out easily. They were not barbed. A bit like broken Cleistocactus spines...
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Spines long enough ? hehe
Avoiding glochid attachment? Opuntia_austrocylindropuntia_subulata
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Or better still, same plant Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfNL-6r-Blw
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm

_________!!!! !!! !! !

That's Austrocylindropuntia subulata right? I've never seen one of them in person.

I was actually more concerned with the density of spines rather than their length, and the shielding effect they could have on stopping loose clothing, etc. from getting at the glochids.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Yep that's the plant, I believe it is just going by the name Opuntia Subulata these days. I was just having a bit of fun sorry to steer away from your idea Smile
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Don't be sorry. That was insane. Shows that if you don't respect cacti and heed their warning then you're entering a world of pain. Classic and wrong.
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

revived.

wasnt mentioned here so thought ide put it out there.

disposable latex gloves can be had pretty cheap. find them in your supermarket or what have you.

just in case you happen to have an unfortunate encounter with some glocidies normal everyday sticky tape is very effective at removing the fine little buggers.

ps. opuntia subulata is not going to prevent you from glocky attack... those long spines are fish hooks and do a good job of draging you and plant together... i could never work out wether the plant wanted me to stay? or wanted to follow me around?
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Hellonasty wrote:
Spines long enough ? hehe
Avoiding glochid attachment? Opuntia_austrocylindropuntia_subulata

Pretty sure this is the plant that's up the road from me, the one I intend to take a cutting from.
At least it appears to be, it may be something completely different but seems to look the part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding glochid attachment?   Avoiding glochid attachment? Empty

Back to top Go down

Avoiding glochid attachment?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information-
Jump to: