Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Late better than never Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Late better than never Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Late better than never Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Late better than never Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Late better than never Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Late better than never Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Late better than never Empty

Late better than never

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Hello everyone.
I joined a few days ago and forgot to introduce myself!

This is a good forum, I've looked around here before, long before I joined and now I'm happy I did.

I like the big tall cacti, especially fat columnars with few ribs, and the epiphytic cacti. I also like the cactus imposters like Euphorbia ingens and the cacti that don't want to be cacti like Epiphyllum oxypetalum. I also like Opuntia but I don't like glochids or their legal status so they are absent from my collection.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Welcome chief!

Glad to see you made an account and join the rest of us crazy cactophiles. we need more active members and its always good to have some fresh ideas/info/pics and questions from another member, on that note post forth and have fun!

-A
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Hiya cereoid. Always good to have new members. Hard not to love the beautiful plants.
I'm not familiar with legal issues concerning opuntias. Better do some more research.
Bastardly laws are ever changing and sometimes seem more a hindrance to legitimate plant lovers than a deterrent for any wrongdoers.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Clarification on legal laws:

All Opuntia sp. and Cylindropuntia sp. except O. ficus-indica are declared noxious weeds. I don't know if you are allowed to own such plants, or if it is only illegal to distribute them, so just to be safe I don't have any. But I really don't like glochids.

Thanks for welcoming me to those whom did and anyone who will in future. I've noticed that cactus folk are generally nicer than ordinary folk.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Cheers cereoid. I knew some were but not all. Sucks much. As I said, genuine collectors are so often hampered by laws which are too broadly written. Have to agree glochids are something you don't take lightly. Once bitten, never ever taken casually again.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

As I said, I don't know the full legislation. Confusing is an understatement.

But my experience with glochids is one never to forget...
As a child I saw prickly pear fruit in a store and read the sign. "These aren't prickly at all!" I thought. But I wasn't thinking that at all after I had succeeded in rubbing the fruit on MY FACE!!!

Terrible now even to think of it.

Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Cereoid wrote:
Clarification on legal laws:

All Opuntia sp. and Cylindropuntia sp. except O. ficus-indica are declared noxious weeds. I don't know if you are allowed to own such plants, or if it is only illegal to distribute them, so just to be safe I don't have any.
AFAIK noxious weeds are classified on a state/regional basis so one would have to check whether the plant is *P*rohibited in one's locale. According to a Victoria factsheet, opuntia appears to be prohibited only in certain regions. Why O. ficus indica is specifically excluded may have something to do with its traditional use as human food crop.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Was surprised to hear the O. ficus indica is excluded from prohibition when all others are included since around here it grows abundantly. I've heard people refer to it as a noxious weed but am unsure of it's officially classification. Makes sense to classify regionally rather than as blanket bans. I'll have to get around to checking out the details for this region.
Good one cereoid, don't do things by half. That's a hell of a lesson you got about the nature of the evil glochids. Take some compensation by knowing that it gave me a laugh. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 pm

This is giving me an idea for a new topic. It will be up shortly.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Intrigued.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late better than never   Late better than never Empty

Back to top Go down

Late better than never
Page 1 of 1