Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
cactus first aid kit Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
cactus first aid kit Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
cactus first aid kit Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
cactus first aid kit Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
cactus first aid kit Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
cactus first aid kit Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
cactus first aid kit Empty

cactus first aid kit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
simon 1

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-12-08

PostSubject: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:04 pm

can anybody recommend a collection of products to keep on hand to cover the most common pests and diseases,be good to treat straight away and not have to wait until the shops open
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:08 pm

PAINTBRUSH! fongarid , sulpher , isopropyl sharp knife. .... as far as insecticides go its a personal choice as to what kind of impact you want to have on all the good lil critters.... but really if its that bad it cant wait 2 days its prob close to dead anyway.... just keep a healthy collection and routine fertz and these problems are less prevalent. cotton buds are good too for better targeting. but prob remember yourself too. gloves, tweezers etc ... Im sure you will find things and keep adding tools that suit what you want to do as you go.... I keep a giant stoker so i can remove debris from between some of my larger plants.

Hope this helps
-A
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Very good advice AmnesiA
Back to top Go down
simon 1

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 pm

thanks AmnesiA ,ill make sure i keep everything you said just in case
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 pm

Just realised AmnesiA forgot the most important piece of equipment ! an old toothbrush, extremely versatile has a million uses especially good for scale removal. And a personal tip sharpen the end of the handle to a point this comes in very handy.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 pm

I have my red bucket and in it i have most of what amnesia recommends plus ant sand, natrasoap for mites and wetting agent for old dried up soil.
I also have a red basket in each house with tweezers, pollination brushes, $2 shop shot glasses and labels for seed collection, knife etc.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Since we are giving secrets away, Crypto, my absolute secret weapon is..... Wait for it...... Tomato Dust ! It controls most pests including mites(very well) and prevents/treats bacterial problems. It's My go to product for pest and disease when nothing else seems to work or I'm out of ideas.

I agree natrasoap is very good however it mixing it with water exacerbates problems when pests cause bacteria.

HN
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 pm

No secrets in my post, just the stuff I've found it handy to have handy. Really isn't it the the vibe of forums in general that we share info for the greater good of all people with a common interest?
Having said that, now you have let the tomato dust cat out from the bag I am off to Bunnings in the morning then I'll soon take over the world with my beautiful pest free cacti! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Hehe it really is that good Smile
Back to top Go down
simon 1

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 3:44 pm

anyone tried the yates rose gun,contains confidor and a fungicide
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am

No mate, how does it go? Only problem is I've got a heap of plants to cover and it could get costly.
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you guys, I am learning so much from this forum. I have always felt very alone in the cactus world as I have not found a lot of followers here in Townsville, and it is great to be able to discuss problems and Ideas. Its great to know there are people out there that are crazy cactus lovers as myself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Yes we are jk, crazy, and cacti lovers Smile I'm glad your enjoying the forum that's why it's here, for the members Smile
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Oh its like that!! top secret weapons! well seeing as we are on the tomato front what does everyone prefer in the way of a fert? I have had great results using Thrive tomato ferts. I mix it normally around 7ml/2ltr instead of 10ml sometimes 5ml if its something more sensitive.

Love some of the ideas getting thrown around in this thread, I now have to organize and buy a few more things to bring my kit up to scratch. like cheap shitty shot glasses. my biggest issue is seed collection Im always struggling to get them out and then not lose them in the walk back inside.

-A
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am

Hey Amnesia, get the not so cheap fake glass ones cause the really cheap medicine ones with ml measurements tend to get blown around by the wind. Another option is to wrap them in a tissue, but above all keep labels and pencil handy cause once you loose track of what is what you won't know till its grown out for a few years.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for the advice mate, I'll be amping things up from here in and need to get myself back on track instead of this on off collecting sham. so all tips and advice are always good Very Happy

-A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cactus first aid kit   cactus first aid kit Empty

Back to top Go down

cactus first aid kit
Page 1 of 1