Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Copiapoa griseoviolacea Empty

Copiapoa griseoviolacea

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 pm

G'day,
I am trying to look up Copiapoa griseoviolacea, and having a lot of problems. It may be a synonym of something else. Any Copiapoa experts out there know anything about this species?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Snah

Snah

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi IXOXI,

I am not a Copiapoa expert but I got the new "Anderson" where all the names
and synonyms of the cacti are listet as well as the unvalid names.
There is nothing like "griseoviolacea".
There is a fungus Russula griseoviolacea and some links on the net say
Copiapoa griseoviolacea =C. coquimbana JA203.
I would say Copiapoa griseoviolacea is a fantasy name.

Sorry
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm

It's unlikely that it's a fantasy name, as the mate who planted them is one of the old school cacti people in Australia. He's got multiple site collected Ariocarpus that are over 100 years old each, and over the years has brought in a lot of seed from some of the explorers who did the site collecting and wrote books about it. He's been growing cacti for around 60 years, so I put some stock into what he says. All I was able to learn about this type, is that it is supposed to be very very rare.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 pm

The other thing is that a lot of the seeds and plants he has came from places in Europe and South America, so some of them use synonyms that are little heard or non-existant in English. Which all the more makes me want to know what these cacti are Sad
Back to top Go down
Snah

Snah

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 1:28 am

You are right, and thats where the problems with the names start.
The "collectors" used to be under great pressure, they got money to discover new species and if a plant appeared to be different.....bingo. Rebutia is a good example, dozens of synonyms for a hand full of plants.
A good plant name also shows the author of the plants description and should be the
same world wide (at least to 2011,since then the description can also be in English
(Melbourne Code)).
It is not your mates fault if the plant you are looking for is not listed under that name...
especially if the information is decades-old.
He primarily has to trust his supplier.

I try to find out more.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 am

Seems to be closely related to coquimbana though i suspect it is not a valid name will have to do a little research.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:49 am

Hope this helps i stumbled across this originally written in spanish.
Here is the link.

http://www.cactuspro.com/articles/rcpb-chili-2011:nouveau-cop1

Hello my dear ... along with publications for our forum would like to show this beautiful species, Copiapoa griseoviolacea described in 2010 by Richard Keim and Ingrid Schaub.

Interestingly, this species was often associated by collectors to coquimbanas, it's a few friends from Italy I commented that before the publication of the species some collectors have labeled the Copiapoa coquimbana, also John Paul and Florence in 2006 found and labeled in one of his photographs as "Copiapoa coquimbana???" that is not a new species rather lacking further analysis on it.

Now you think but as you may have initially appointed to this species being coquimbana which is very different, and I usually spend good happened last year when I found another population and had no idea of the sort ... just said "that rare C. coquimbanas of here, "I mean, either for good or bad if you know the natural distribution of a species, we tend to associate each ground floor we see that species, ie without further analysis will not open to the possibility that you could be facing a new species and that's what happened to me.

Not the most and least Lateo bla-bla, on to the pictures.

Apart from the color of both the body and the spines, this species is characterized by macollar not abundantly, and the heads are larger a coquimbana.

Cheers Luke
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

It's French Embarassed, but yeah this article helps. Looks like it is a newly discovered species, at first attributed to being a sub species of C. coquimbanas, but turns out to have enough differences, that it's been described as a rare new species just in the last 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Copiapoa griseoviolacea is introduced in The cactus Explores No.2 on page 16 in English.
http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/journal1.htm
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Thank you Hanazono!
Back to top Go down
Snah

Snah

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 pm

That explains it.. nearly brand new..
There already seeds available:

http://kakteen-piltz.de/samenliste_online_de.php

quite expensive

Cheers
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Mesa gardens is also selling seeds -

84.827-griseoviolacea PV2383 Freirina, colorful body, stout black sp 5.00*
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 am

I don't remember their codes, but that means $5 for either 5 or 10 seeds. Somewhere I read that this species of Copiapoa was just described last year. Would be interesting to start growing some of them.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 pm

That's $5 for 10 seeds which isn't too bad at all in my opinion especially considering all the C. cinerea seeds are $4 for 10 seeds.

Either in autumn or spring I will be buying a lot of copiapoa seeds (they are my favourite species).
From Mesa Gardens seed list I've marked 51 copiapoa species that I want - they are all hard skinned species.

It's a good looking species - looks a lot like a C echinoides and some say it could be a hybrid between C. echinoides and C. coquimbana.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Copiapoa griseoviolacea   Copiapoa griseoviolacea Empty

Back to top Go down

Copiapoa griseoviolacea
Page 1 of 1