Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Empty

Looking to buy some cacti seeds

Go down 
+5
Kandahar
cryptocarpa
IXOXI
diddi
jk
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

This is a very interesting read guys, I would be lost without you's, hehe.

JK, have you ordered any seed as yet?

The AQIS must have some fancy men and women in white coats to be able to determin which seed is what ect.. Imagine the amount of stuff coming to Australian shores that needs checking and clarifying. Jeepers!
Back to top Go down
nehme

nehme

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 pm

There was some amendments to the CITES affecting Australia on 25/10/12

Based on my readings CITES appendix III is not that bad Wink ; it offers the opportunity to protect a native wild animal or plant species it believes are in need of international trade controls. These species are not necessarily "endangered" and may be traded for commercial purposes. All that is required is a export permit in this case. Species on this list are "watched" in case trade does appear to be impacting its survival.

Basically if you want to buy a native wild animal or plant species for export listed on Appendix III; you are required to pay for an export permit. An export permit in Australia cost $75 valid for 6 months. Shipments without appropriate permits risk rejection by importing countries
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:50 am

Thank you for clarifying that Nehme.
I think I will start a new thread and copy these bits into it, or ask HN to move the rest of it to there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:15 pm

thinking of writing a little excel application that allows searching of plants from AQIS for import. anyone interested? it will take a bit of effort to do, so dont want to waste time if nobody will want it.

Back to top Go down
nehme

nehme

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi didi,
The maintenance from your side is going to be quite high because you have to keep your plants list in sync with the AQIS site unless you can use a web service from AQIS to search for plants. I am not sure how often they change (add/edit/delete) the plants list on the AQIS site.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 pm

@Diddi I would use the time set aside to write that to instead plant and grow more cacti Very Happy
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm

oh blast! ive just bought my fungarid
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:26 pm

What price was it, diddi? If you don't mind me asking.
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:04 pm

the fungarid or the aqis program?

fungarid about$16.50 bunnings
aqis program... um.....
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Haha, the Fungarid. I haden't even looked yet. I need to invest in some. But I haven't been home for a while so I fear the seedlings have perished Sad
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

thats not good
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Hmm, some how they're still going strong! Thank goodness for that. Heaps more have germinated also Smile so so so happy.
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 pm

what sorts have come up?
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 am

Little greenish ones I imagine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:06 am

Unknown Astrophytum, Trichocereus Bridgesii, Setiechinopsis Mirabilis, T. Thelogonus X E. Seminudus, Unknown Trichocereus hybrid, L. Williamsii and R. Azare. Going well IMO.
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 am

Yes Kandahar it is very interesting reading, no I have not yet ordered any seed, still deciding, I think it is still worth to have a go with a small order.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 6:52 pm

A couple of years back I ordered a few small packets of seed from a dealer in Italy. Not all at once, there were 3 separate orders. For the most part there was no bother at all. I didn't have to do any paperwork. I just sent the money and a couple of weeks later the seeds arrived in the mail box.

But customs did confiscate one packet - Myrtillocactus geometrizans. They sent a note saying that if I didn't do anything about it they were going to incinerate the seeds. I guess thats what happened, because I never replied.

I had assumed that Myrtos wouldn't be a problem. But its listed on their site as an invasive weed.

That was a couple of years ago. But I was looking at their site the other day and it looks like things are pretty much the same. As long as the species isnt prohibited its still possible to import small quantities without any real hassles.

cheers
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I had a whole package of 400 Astrophytum seeds burned earlier this year because they were improperly labled.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Ouch. Did they say how it was incorrect - wrong name, inadequate naming or something? I get the impression that sometimes the seed vendors can be a little casual about our import regulations. When I got the seeds from Italy they would throw in a free packet as well. (Some random species of succulent.) Which is nice of them. Mine got through. But Ive heard of these type of freebies being sent to the dreaded incinerator.

I was thinking of ordering from Mesa, and maybe some German mob. I'd like to think that the bigger companies have got their act together regarding these things. A fair bit of their business would involve international orders, including I guess some to Oz.

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 am

Moved to a better home Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 am

The seeds that got burned were all Astrophytum but they were a mix. That is where the problem came from. AQIS said mixtures not allowed. Didn't matter that they were all asterias. Mixwd cultivars all got burned. They offered me the chance to get them sent back to Germany for sixty-some dollars but that is a joke. Lose another chunk of cash and still not get the seeds.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

That is interesting. As you'd know AQIS lumps varieties, cultivars etc under species. So a mix of varieties should logically be seen by them as one species. But I guess they dont like mixes.

Maybe they're worried that there's a greater chance that prohibited seed might accidentally get into the mix. Though its not foolproof. One of the freebies I got from overseas was Trichocereus terscheckii, They weren't all trichs though, a couple of other cacti popped up. They are still very small - I have no idea what they are.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy some cacti seeds   Looking to buy some cacti seeds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking to buy some cacti seeds
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2