Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
sinningia leucotricha flowers Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
sinningia leucotricha flowers Empty

sinningia leucotricha flowers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:43 pm

yeh, i know its not a cactus, but there are some quite strange caudiciforms about. caudex is 9cm across

sinningia leucotricha flowers Dscn1714
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 pm

What ever it is, I likey!

Are they hard to come accross?

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Diddi, I bought one in Febuary and the leaves are getting old. They say to cut it back in spring, but it is so hot here I am not sure when I should?Most succulants grow better in our winter, any Idea?
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm

@jk
sinningia are predated upon by herbivores like goats that eat anything green. so once the animal has had a bit of a nibble, the important part of the plant storing all the nutrients and water is just a brown uninteresting lump. they are actually better off when the green shoots are completely removed, rather than hanging on waiting for them to die off like a bulb. this more closely resembles their natural lifecycle.

if you look really carefully at the pic, you can just see little fluffy shoots in the centre of the caudex. once the current stalks are 'eaten off' some of the new shoots will rapidly come up and flower. i cut them all off in about mid winter (but i keep mine inside away from frost). be careful not to damage the new shoots, btw. if you dont cut them off then the current leaves slowly increase in size but the stalks do not flower again.

@kandahar
not sure these days. i got mine from the wholesale markets in melbourne several years ago. they arent that quick to grow, so it could be 5 years? cant say i have seen any around for a while.
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks diddi.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 am

Here we go again, ANOTHER type of plant I want in the garden. This just gets more and more hectic in the back yard Smile

I will be on the hunt for a couple of these, but my neck of he woods dosen't have alot in anything really desirable. Almost all of my collection are from generous members, online vendors, cuttings/seeds given to me by neighbours and mates and the good ol' door knock on someones house with a polite ask.

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 am

Kandahar, you can buy at Cactus Corner in Melbourn that is where I got mine.
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 8:17 am

Sorry "Collectors Corner" Embarassed
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:56 pm

now that you mention them, i suspect that mine came from 'paradisia' which is the wholesale arm of "collectors corner". i used to live just near collectors corner and worked at one of the other shops in the complex selling swimming pools and chemicals. heres a pic of the retail area from 10 years ago. its prolly much bigger now!

sinningia leucotricha flowers Dcp_3610

and there is a huge display area...

sinningia leucotricha flowers Dcp_3611
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm

@K

they are frost tender. i keep mine inside on south facing window sill. they are remarkable in that the whole leaf structure can reorientate itself in about 2 days to face the sun. i turn it around to see the front and it starts correcting within a few hours.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks for the pics i have never been to collectors corner. We don't have anything like it in Adelaide and i have always wondered about CC and if it would be worth a trip just to see.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Has anyone been to the Lighting Ridge cacti place? I hear great things but no pics ect...
Back to top Go down
diddi

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

How about the cactus display at Strathmerton, northern Victoria? I might dash up and take some pics if anyone is intrested.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 am

Now that is another place i would love to visit i just love cacti grown in the ground. I have a friend who is letting me plant out all off my large cacti in the ground on their block. I have a fenced area that i will put all my large plants. Since i have so many it will be a long process and we will start planting out in Feb i will take photo's as we do it.
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am

That would be good diddi and c/cook, can't get anough photos of cacti!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sinningia leucotricha flowers   sinningia leucotricha flowers Empty

Back to top Go down

sinningia leucotricha flowers
Page 1 of 1