Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Empty

Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 am

I found an old shoe box of mine and found some left over seed that two different people had given me some time ago, so I sowed them on 23/10/2012 and they are:

~Trichocereus Bridgesii, which almost all of the 35 seeds have germinated and watching more each day apear.

~Lophophora Williamsii, which has only germinated one lone seed out of 20 so far.

~Setiechinopsis Mirabilis, which by the looks of it the odd seed are starting to crack today, maybe 50 were sown.

~
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 am

Also sown on the same date were:

~Unknown Astrophytum, that had a different language on the seed packet that I cannot read any longer and have no recolection of how I obtained them. One seed has germinated out of queit a few.

~Unknown Trichocereus Hybrid, no sign of germination as of yet.

~Trichocereus Thelogonus X Echinopsis Seminudus, which almost each and every seed has germinated out of 50 or so.

Am rather pleased at this point.. Any advice from here on?
Many thanks!
~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 am

Oh and I used take away technique in river sand, and they are outside and I haven't been applying heat or anything, just misting with water when it starts to look slightly dry.
Small amount of cobweb mould in the Astro container, how/what do I do to get rid of the mould?

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 am

I will try and post some pictures in the next day or two when I'm back home, but so far no good when I have tried

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Fongarid should get rid of the white fungus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Bunnings?
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks, IXOXI.
I will get that and a different chemical for the other pests mentioned in my 'ant infestation' thread. I don't like using chemical warfare, but got to do what you got to do I guess.

I know its hard as I have no pictures at the moment, but with the seedlings, do I just continue doing what I have been doing (they seem happy so far) with the take away containers until they are bumping into the lid? I am just un-sure as I have never grown these random seeds before.

End of rant.
Thanks

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 am

It is worth buying the Fongarid. At least in my eyes it is. I learned this lesson the very hard way. I had a mix of 400 rare astro cultivar seeds and over 380 germinated. These had been specially imported from Germany. Once the white hair fungus or mold or whatever it was hit, it was less than 10 days till the last seedling went glassy clear and turned to mush. I had even tried grafting some in desperation but even though they looked ok at the time of grafting, they still turned into glassy mush too. To add insult to injury, when I ordered 400 more seeds, there was a problem with how the seeds were labled and AQIS burned them all. So you have to decide if the relatively inexpensive Fongarid is worth it versus the cost of losing many or all of your seedlings.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am

Im going into Lissy today so I will have a look, whats a rough price? Sounds like I 'need' it as I would prefer not to lose the unknown German (i think thats where they were sent from) Astro's.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!   Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated! Empty

Back to top Go down

Few Different Seeds Sown/Germinated!
Page 1 of 1