Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Empty

Agave Oopsie-Daisy!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm posting this photo because I have mentioned it to a couple of members here, and it is sort of amusing anyhow.
A large older Agave which was past was full flower, now setting out seed pods, was leaning a bit, and it became a concern that the flower spike could fall on a car, so it was decided to pull it down with a ute. Well, the spike came down but took the rest of the Agave with it. The good news is that I got to collect a whole bunch of seeds without a ladder.

Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Tipped10

Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Hehe cool, I know where that was taken Smile The main stem will die now unfortunately but a 100 pups will emerge.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 pm

I should have taken a update photo, I'll do it on Friday. It's been trimmed down and looks something like a strange pineapple, but it's still growing.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 pm

By the way - Good to see ya back HN!
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Thought they pulled it down as it was starting to lean towards the powerlines? Least that's what I got told when I was there a few months back and noticed it had gone over.
Was out there yesterday and the shelves in the tunnels were seriously empty, just a fraction of their regular stock remained.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 pm

That's because they have been filling huge orders for Bunnings & Masters all the last few weeks, and have not had time to pot up replacements yet.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Figured so, spring seems to be kicking in so ppl will once again head out plant shopping. Plus both of them likely have alot of winter losses among their overwatered cactii, local Masters would likely had to replace their whole stock judging by the mealie infestation I saw there some weeks back!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Neither they nor Bunnings ever really takes care of their cacti correctly. I once saw an entire shelf of Lithops left in pouring rain at the Parramatta Bunnings. No one seemed to care. I bought as many as I could, and took them home to dry out the roots.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Least my local Bunnings in Minchinbury have the decency to keep their cactii in direct sunlight and not in the shade like one of the Penrith stores does.
Has it's drawbacks though as I've seen whole shippments from Hamilton's scorched from getting moved straight from poly tunnels to full afternoon sunlight.

Kindly informed staff at both Penrith and Blacktown FlowerPower in late autumn that it might be a good idea to bring the big Melocactii they had outside under cover and into warmer shelter just to be met with blank stares. Went past the Penrith one last week and they had atleast 50% losses, still had the dead husks for sale though....$60 for a nice clay bowl, some soil and topdressing and one very dead cactus Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agave Oopsie-Daisy!   Agave Oopsie-Daisy! Empty

Back to top Go down

Agave Oopsie-Daisy!
Page 1 of 1