Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Empty

"Tales From the Cacti Cube"

Go down 
+10
Snah
midlife crisis
diddi
Kandahar
cryptocarpa
mitchell101
cactuscook
Hanazono
Hellonasty
IXOXI
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
midlife crisis

midlife crisis

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm

IXOXI that pere graft is cool I will have a go at one one day Smile

My success rate was good a while ago and then it dropped to about 50%. I think I have worked out were I went wrong. Mainly I was over confidant I was using stock that wasn't at its best and my technique got sloppy so I went back to basics , slowed down and kept everything sterile and I seem to be back on track.

You didn't answer my question about pot size Smile I am asking because I have recently gone down to 85mm square pots but I would like to go smaller to save on space but I am unsure what size pere's will still be happy in.

Cheers
Midlife

Back to top Go down
Snah

Snah

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 am

IXOXI I am speechless, it looks like a Peres jungle !
And the Astro - tree.... Shocked

@ midlife
I got a similar problem with Astrophytum and Ariocarpus grafts. They just sit there and do
nothing whilst others grow rapidly.
Cause i havenĀ“t got Pereskiopsis so far (maybe U can help me out with??) I graft on
Selenicereus and Hylo of different age and size.
I blame the lack of routine and uniform grafting stock for the poor success. It makes every graft different and I got not enough practice to handle it. Embarassed
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 C8_00610
Cheers Snah
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am

@ midlife - the Peres does just fine in a confined space. I have tons of it growing in test tubes of water and most of the ones in this next photo are all 20-30cm tall, but growing in 40mm sq pots, packed over 100 per tray! By the way they are greener then what you see here, this yellowish colouration is due to the photo being done from my mobile phone.

"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Peres10

@ Snah
Quote :
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 am

IXOXI I am speechless, it looks like a Peres jungle !
And the Astro - tree.... Shocked

I find that funny as I call it the Pereskiopsis Forest. And yeah I have numerous multigrafts like that. Sometimes only one scion takes off and gets enormous while the rest don't grow, but don't die off either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 am

When you get time IXOXI, would it be alright if you take a snap shot of one or two of your other multiple grafts? I can't get enough of those sort of grafts!!

Beautiful photo's everyone. I can't seem to upload any of my photo's and when I'm physically on a computer I don't have a camera handy, only at home.

~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 pm

IXOXI Wow you have a lovely setup! I can only imagine that your time would be very busy.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Ha, Thanks, yeah it keeps me on my toes! Funny part is that it is just my hobby. One that sometimes will consume entire days in a row, but I enjoy almost every bit of it. When I go into the cube and shut the door, I am surrounded by the plants. The fans in there do a nice controlled breeze, and it is very very peaceful. I often wander into it thinking I'll just go in and check the germi8nation trays, or look at the overnight growth of some of the grafts and next thing I know hours have gone by...
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm

I can imagine.!
Back to top Go down
midlife crisis

midlife crisis

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 am

Quote :
@ midlife
I got a similar problem with Astrophytum and Ariocarpus grafts. They just sit there and do
nothing whilst others grow rapidly.
Cause i havenĀ“t got Pereskiopsis so far (maybe U can help me out with??) I graft on
Selenicereus and Hylo of different age and size.
I blame the lack of routine and uniform grafting stock for the poor success. It makes every graft different and I got not enough practice to handle it. Embarassed

I can help you with a couple pere plants which you could use as you mother plants once they get going. I cant give you any ready to graft pieces atm as I am about to use a heap and I am a bit behind with my propagation of my pere stock.
Could you spare a piece of the Selenicereus so I could grow it as stock. I have one that I have propagated enough to start using it to see what its like but it looks different to yours.

Quote :
@ midlife - the Peres does just fine in a confined space. I have tons of it growing in test tubes of water and most of the ones in this next photo are all 20-30cm tall, but growing in 40mm sq pots, packed over 100 per tray! By the way they are greener then what you see here, this yellowish colouration is due to the photo being done from my mobile phone.

That is really cool that the pere's can handle the small pots. I presume they are in a standard square pot and yours are looking very healthy. If you don't mind answering more questions I have a heap more about your whole setup including how you grow your peres and look after them once the scion is grafted. I think I said before that we are working in very similar environments. My space looks a fair bit smaller than yours mine is like a over sized cupboard that is in my shed that you can walk into. There is only cacti inside and all of the rest of my stuff that goes along with this hobbie is in the shed proper.
I will read back through the thread and come back with some questions if that's ok with you. Very Happy

Cheers
Midlife
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm

@ Midlife - Sounds good, I am happy to answer any questions you have, as best I can.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm

I was visiting a friend today, and he was showing me his current trays of seedlings, when disaster struck - He was putting them back and caught the corner of the table with the main tray, all of the seedlings got dumped out of their containers. It all landed badly, so everything was all mixed up, but among the dozen types of cacti growing in there were Thelocephala sp., Copiapoa
sp., Lophophora diffusa, Mammillaria humboldtii, Blossfeldia lilliputana and Lophophora jourdania.
He was so upset by this that he was going to just put all the pile into the bin. I decided to try and sort it all out. So the last couple of hours have been sifting through the pile and attempting to sort the seedlings out by shape, size and colour...

Last edited by IXOXI on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Ha! I got a malicious chuckle out of that, not because I'm evil, but because I've been there and done that twice about seven years ago with two trays and many hundreds of Ariocarpus seedlings. Took me a few months before I could even look at my cacti again. My wife said they were all done for and to chuck em but I sieved them all out and trayed them up again.
Seven years later and I am still trying to differentiate between bravoanus from scaphirostrus, and cultivars from species.
I've done it many times since. Nowdays when it happens I just think 'Bloody typical!' and I consider myself lucky if it happens less than once a year.... touch wood!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm

I had it happen to me almost a year ago to the day. Three shelves of Lithops, amounting to about 4000 seedlings. Top shelf collapsed, landed on the second, etc, then once all 3 were sandwiched, they tipped over forward and landed upside down. 99% of them popped on impact. Took weeks to dig the survivors out, still have no idea a year on which are which. And it was a good 2 months before I could even bother with any of them again - I very nearly gave up my whole collection at the time.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 pm

A couple of photos of some of the Ariocarpus growing in the Cube.

A. lloydii
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Lloydi10

A fissuratus cv. Godzilla
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Godzil12

Same one, side on:
"Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Godzil11
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 am

Nice gz! He'll grow up to be a beautiful monster!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 am

I am really hoping so. I have a second one that will grow slower, but should be impressive none the less, since it is developing multiple heads
Back to top Go down
midlife crisis

midlife crisis

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Ok I am back Very Happy

I have just rebuilt my grow space so now I have double the shelf space and I have bought eight hundred odd 50mm squat tubes which I have kept about six hundred for myself. Cool

So now I am ready to start propagating pere and grafting on a lot larger scale than I have previously.

Here go's the questions.

What soil do you use for your pere ?
I changed from a standard potting mix to a high coir mix a while ago to try and reduce gnat problems but I am not happy with it so I am due to make another change.

What lights are you using for your pere propagation and for your grafts and at what height are the lights from the tops of the grafts / pere's ?
I am using 4 foot fluros cool whites for the pere's and daylight and NEC Biolux for my grafts. The shelves that I have my grafts on have 3 fluros and the ones with pere have 2 fluro's. My shelves are 1200x 400.

How do you water and how often do you fertilize ?
I try and bottom water every couple of weeks and and use a small watering can with a extended spout for my regular watering. Bottom watering has got a bit easier now most of my pots are in trays so I can do a tray at a time.

What sort of temps does the cube get to during summer and do you have fans moving air inside the cube ?
I did have a small fan running just to keep the temps even but I have recently turned it off because I think it was drying everything out two quick especially my seedlings.

I am also interested in your thoughts on this.
We talked about the heights of our pere grafts a little while ago and I have decided to do all of my grafts at 250mm from the bottom of my pots so they are all a uniform height. So if my pots are 75mm high my pere's should end up being about 180mm high from the soil.

If you have any other thoughts or suggestions please post them. I really want to get my area dialed in as I have a lot of seed I am going to put down when it is.

Cheers
Midlife

Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 pm

@midlife - Peres isn't too fussy so Amgrow, or Osmicote cacti soil works fine for them (and not much else!). I have multiple lighting setups, each has their own benefits. You can best experiment to see what works for you, without causing too much of a heating issue. I am currently watering 3 times a week, though I change that depending on what season I have my cacti in. Fertilize once a fort. Temps currently 30 day/20 night. Yes, fans cycle 15 mins on, 15 off. ALl my seedlings are in humidity chambers of various sorts, or in plastic bags, so drying out is not an issue.

In other news... 12/12/12 at 12:12:12 an auspicious time to set down some seeds today. Finished the rabbit / mouse wire around my tunnel, and am nearly done with the slug & large insect mesh as well. Hail netting is in place and the door is on. Have started putting cacti into the tunnel as well.
Will post a list later of some of the seeds set down.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 pm

That's a fine set up you have there. Looks like you are getting some great results!

I've wondered about growing cacti under lights myself. So i do have a couple of quick questions. Apologies if you've answered these earlier. I did read through the thread but I could have missed it.

How far apart are the fluoros? I'm guessing that you'd want them pretty close together.

And also, how many hours of light per day do you give them?

thanks!

Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 pm

I'll have to do some current photos, but one of my Ariocarpus has gone from seed to 4cm in just half a year. I have a number of light set ups, and each is tailored for different results. I can't get into too much detail because there are some processes that I am doing that have not been done before, and the end result should be pretty spectacular.
I suggest doing some experiments to see what you come up with, as different plants react differently to each kind of lighting, amount, duration, intensity, etc.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 am

Sounds interesting - trying out different light setups that is.

The type of results you are getting are pretty inspiring. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so I think I might have to have give this one a bit of a go!

Problem is that I have to move house. Maybe a small portable setup using compact fluoros.

I dunno,its getting kinda late!

cheers
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

@Charlie - This whole setup of mine is inside in a 2m x 2m space. Theres over 3000 cacti in there. It would not be too difficult to build something similar which was modular or at least able to come apart easily for transport.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 am

I did make a small set up yesterday. Its pretty basic.

I found a large aluminium parabolic reflector. And a 40w compact fluoro (supposedly equivalent to a 150 - 200 w regular bulb). A timer. And stuck it all together!

I got some seedlings, put half under the light and the other half are outside on the verandah.

Its on a 16h 'daylength'. So far so good, though it does seem to be drying the soil surface . Prob have to raise the light. The tweaking begins!

cheers

Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 am

For my general growing zones in the cube, 16 hours is the normal lighting duration, so you are going well there.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 am

IXOXI wrote:
I was visiting a friend today, and he was showing me his current trays of seedlings, when disaster struck - He was putting them back and caught the corner of the table with the main tray, all of the seedlings got dumped out of their containers. It all landed badly, so everything was all mixed up, but among the dozen types of cacti growing in there were Thelocephala sp., Copiapoa
sp., Lophophora diffusa, Mammillaria humboldtii, Blossfeldia lilliputana and Lophophora jourdania.
He was so upset by this that he was going to just put all the pile into the bin. I decided to try and sort it all out. So the last couple of hours have been sifting through the pile and attempting to sort the seedlings out by shape, size and colour...

Been there before !! Man that sucks I would have done the same thing and thrown them in the bin in anger. Lucky your a good friend and helped out as most if not all of them would have survived it would just be a difficult job sorting them and re-planting..

Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 am

I managed to save just over 450 seedlings. Some will be a while before we know what they are. I am going to graft around 50 of them so that we can identify some of them sooner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Tales From the Cacti Cube"   "Tales From the Cacti Cube" - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

"Tales From the Cacti Cube"
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next