Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
A few ID's please Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
A few ID's please Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
A few ID's please Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
A few ID's please Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
A few ID's please Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
A few ID's please Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
A few ID's please Empty

A few ID's please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Figured I'd see if I could put some names to the lot I bought last year and put together into a pot. Labels are long gone and there's really only one that I can remember so I'll start with that one.

1: Mammillaria gracilis?
A few ID's please Photo060t.th

2: ?
A few ID's please Photo055.th

3: ?
A few ID's please Photo054.th

4: ?
A few ID's please Photo052l.th

Above 4 plus 2 others, including one mealy savaged "pincusion" together in the pot.
A few ID's please Photo056so.th

5: ?
A few ID's please Photo059c.th

6: ?
Just couldn't go past this little bugger at Bunnins an hour ago while I picked up some more white pebbles. Laughing
A few ID's please Photo057g.th
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 pm

6: Astrophytum Capricorne man did well to get what looks like a nice variegate

5: looks like a notocactus of some sort but im really unsure of that one I know the cactus well but never by name

4: Haku-jo (Echinopsis hybrid)

3: Dunno

2: Mamm of some sort ..too many to know exactlly which one

1: Yes your on the money, but that is a monstrose form commonly called "snowflake"

Welcome to the forum at any rate =)
-A
Back to top Go down
region4

region4

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-12-13

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 12:18 pm

#5 is either Notocactus herteri or N. roseoleutus - both look much the same except for the colour of their flowers. I'm guessing it's the latter as I spotted one at Bunnings earlier this week that looked identical and it was labelled N. roseoleutus.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks.
Least I can now put some names to some of the littelies I have.

Funny though that the second "snowflake" I have, this one clearly labeled Monstrose, looks so different in growth than this one. Surprised

@region4: Likely is one of those as this one was indeed bought at Bunnings around a year ago. Might just have to put it outside to get some direct sunlight to see if I can get it to flower.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:05 am

I read Haku-jo is possibly a chimera or so it says on cactus-biz-art.
http://www.cactuspedia.info/schede/ECHINOPSIS/Echinopsis_Hybrid/Echinopsis_Haku_jo_maru/Echinopsis_hybrid_cv_haku_yo.htm
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:20 am

Funny thing with that one is that it's been outside through the whole winter, just like the rest in that pot, and endured one of the coldest winters I've experienced since moving to Sydney near 10 years ago. Not exactly cold compared to the climate I grew up in though in all honesty, must of been atleast 36 or so degrees warmer than the worst I've seen at 60° 37' 0" N / 16° 46' 0" E Laughing

Haven't grown much in the year I've had it though....but now that the temp is starting to come up it's starting to show evicence of splitting between the ribs, something that has me somewhat worried at the moment.
Back to top Go down
region4

region4

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Snowfella

#3 could possibly be Mammillaria magnimamma. #6 is Astrophytum ornatum. #2 could be anything, though you could try your luck looking for an ID via www.mammillarias.net. The N. roseoleutus could take several more years before it's mature enough to flower.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 pm

A. ornatum does seem to match better than A. capricorne in my eyes with the way the spines are growing.
And M. magnimamma could also be it judgin on how it's growing, although mine has alot shorter spines. Wonder if the old tags they came with could still be in the bottom of the "general gardening waste" bin I have out back. Might be time to dig through it to find out.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Figured I'd reuse the same thread for some more Id's, no real need to start up multiple threads just because I couldn't help myself once again.

7. Totally unknown columnar. Just over 2 feet tall and very slender, looks like it has some fluff growing from the areoles.
A few ID's please Photo063w.thA few ID's please Photo065z.th

8. Matucana according to the tag but what type? Guessing either Matucana weberbaueri or Matucana haynei judging by photos I've seen.
A few ID's please Photo066h.thA few ID's please Photo067f.th

Both per Bunnings standard sopping wet, especially since I got there just a few minutes after todays rainshower. And the columnar also has a nice growth of clover joining it in the pot Rolling Eyes So it's getting repotted proto.

Looks like some of their cactuses acctually like the amount of water they subject them to though. Last few times I've been there they have had a tiny M. geometrizans cutting that's been yanked out of it's pot just laying about withouth any roots at all coming from it. Today it had started spouting rots out of the base.
Back to top Go down
region4

region4

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 12:39 am

#7 is a Pilosocereus sp, maybe P. azureus / pachycladus. When you get your cactus garden bed up and running, definitely try finding a spot for it and watch it grow @ 1-3 feet or more a year.

#8 ... M. comacephala?
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 pm

That's the plan Wink
Trying to get my hands on a few columnars aswell as an opuntia or 2 and some other ones to plant out next spring. Got 6 sitting outside in a half winebarrel right now as a test to see what ones will survive the summer heat and winter rains, sofar they seem to be doing alright, apart from one small golden barrel that seems to of got abit sunburnt.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Alright, here's one more. Only thing I can remember from the tag it came with is that it's some form of Aloe. Started it's life with one "fan" of leaves but has in the last year changed it's growth into 3 separate "fan's".

A few ID's please Photo069yn.th
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few ID's please Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few ID's please   A few ID's please Empty

Back to top Go down

A few ID's please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information :: Cactus & Succulent Identification-
Jump to: