Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Newbie with a question Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Newbie with a question Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Newbie with a question Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Newbie with a question Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Newbie with a question Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Newbie with a question Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Newbie with a question Empty

Newbie with a question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 pm

As the title says I'm more or less a newbie at this whole cactus thing but at the rate I'm going I suspect i've got the bug bigtime. Heck, already planning and thinking about uprooting a far bit of backlawn and turning it into a cactus patch....wife "naturally" thinks I've gone nuts.

Question is though that I've spotted a for me relatively pricey cactus at the local Bunnings and am wondering if the pricing of it is anywhere near fair. It's what they have labeled a Cereus Peruvianus that most definately is a Monsrose variant, straight lumpy stem nearly a meter tall with the tip showing 4 or 5 growths that are starting to separate. At just over $60 it's somewhat pricey for a newb like me but is it a fair price or could I find it cheaper somewhere else?
Kinda fallen for the look of it though and mentally already picked out a spot in the imaginary cactus garden I'm thinking of building...lol
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 11:28 pm

When it comes to cacti ,money is no object lol, have you tried ebay? I just bought me-self some nice xmas prezzies hehe
Back to top Go down
Alex

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 am

SnowFella, if you are looking for low prices, do as I did, buying lots of seeds. In a few years you can build a large collection, spending very few money! Wink
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 9:24 am

60 bucks for a cereus Peru is very very pricey, I assume it is a recent cutting and about 2ft tall ?

Search around you will find much better value, forum members here will help you out if you stick around Smile eBay can be a good starting point, have a look in the links section and keep an eye on the trades forum.

HN
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Cheers.
Figured it might be somewhat overpriced. Though if it's still around and I have spare money to burn the next time I'm there I might still fall for the temptation. lol
But I just found out also that there's a cactus collection/nursery/retail place (Hamilton's World of Cacti) no more than a 15 minutes away from where I live so I might just pop past there and see what's available.

Just hoping right now though that the serious downpour we just had won't play havoc with the new little ones I just planted out into the yard yesterday. silent Wine barrel they are in is pretty quick draining though so I've got my fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 4:05 pm

There are some fantastic plants at Hamilton's you will be pleasantly surprised Smile
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Funny thing is, now that I look at most of the labels that came with the meager collection I have I'm noticing that most of them come from Hamilton's to start off with. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a question   Newbie with a question Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie with a question
Page 1 of 1