Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Propagators Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Propagators Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Propagators Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Propagators Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Propagators Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Propagators Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Propagators Empty

Propagators

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Propagators   Propagators EmptyFri May 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Thought that I would share to the world of cacti enthusiasts, what I have done to help germinate my (cacti) seed. I had been germinating cacti in a northerly facing window (in misted plastic bags, behind curtains to keep in the heat and had reletively good success.

But I decided to put an old aquarium on the window ledge instead. I lined the bottom with alfoil/tinfoil from the kitchen, and all the sides except the one facing north out the window. Put foil over the top (shiny side facing inwards) and placed the glass on top, hanging by a strip of sticky tape in the middle of the aquarium to keep in the heat. I placed the misted baggies in the aquarium and then decided to get a 25 watt light globe for added warrmth through the night.

It lookes really cheep and nasty, but it is warm as in there and after 3 days i have germinated ALL of my Astro Asterias Gonzales seeds - how awesaome is that?

Will take a photo and include it in another post if anyone is interested, but it doesn't look like much - results are another thing though.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Propagators   Propagators EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Yes I would love to see some pics please Calycium, I've been offered a fish tank (just six months after selling the dingy one hanging around on the verandah after being nagged into it, only to discover I could have used it grrr)
Anyhoo I would like to set something up like that in a shed.
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Propagators   Propagators EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Sounds like a pretty good idea calycium.

I borrowed an idea from mycoculture for creating a warm environment.

Get two plastic tubs of the same size/type. Fill the bottom of one with water, enough so that when the other tub in placed into the first tub, the bottom of it hits the water and it goes up the sides a little. Then place a fish heater in the first tub and adjust the thermostat to the temp you want. Place the other tub in the first and seal the edges (with tape or cling wrap) to prevent the water from evaporating into the atmosphere. Plug the heater in and in a few hours the interior of the tub will be very warm. Seal the top of the tub with something clear to keep in the heat but allow the light in.

I've found it has worked very well so far, but my house has a terrible aspect on it, so getting enough light has been a problem. I could put a fluoro above them, but don't really want to have to use a light unless I find it critical.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Propagators   Propagators EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 pm

talking about cheap propergators check out the one i made using my homebrew heat pad, a plastic tub & a lead light. you can see it under the topic seed advice for newbies.

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Propagators   Propagators EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Well I'll have a tank and a light, I just need to figure out the rest lol. I did see your Darren, I also saw some people mentioning reptile heat mats as a cheaper alternative
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Propagators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Propagators   Propagators Empty

Back to top Go down

Propagators
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Propagation: Seeds & Vegetative-
Jump to: