Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Empty

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 am

Okey, I am not read up in Euphorbias, but I very much like the enopla like group, you know those ones that look like miniature columnars? Some with reddish spines? Those I mean.

I have noticed almost all euphorbias seem to be pretty active in automn and colder weather, rather than hot and dry summer, and as it's still a very mind winter [it's a bit colder today though] . So this is maybe also a good period for propagation. Should I bring in and root , or better leave outside to root?

alright, I found the photo I wanted. Here are two newly bought, pretty plants, and the smaller one on the lesft I have it 1year+, got it much smaller. I got a couple others too, simmilar but other sp, 2 more..

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation DSCN6231
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation 893459 nice
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Those are some really lovely plants.

I'm no expert on Euphorbia, but the following tek seems popular... Vegetative Propagation of Euphorbia
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks

here are some more specific to the group cultivation/propagations instructions.
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EUPHORBIA/Euphorbia_enopla/Euphorbia_enopla/Euphorbia_enopla.htm

As one can imagine I wanna propagate the many-branched on the right...
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 am

Well, if the above tek is right, it sounds easy enough to strike cuttings from. Only one way to find out... Wink
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Those are extremely easy to grow from cuttings, I have a massive one here. I took some cuttings for my Mum a couple of months ago and they're flying along, I just let them dry outside for a few days and stuck them in cacti mix, they're going happily.
Mine doesn't have red spines any more though Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Quote :
Mine doesn't have red spines any more though

That's a shame... is it only the new growth that has the red spines, or is there some environmental factor at fault that has caused the change?
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Oh I think it is just age, he's really woody now too. Must be ten or twelve years I have had it, he's an old man Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Icon_smile The new spines are reddish and he gets good green growth at the top, but the lower spines are mostly black now.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 am

Well I didn't mention that I have already rooted one, and have been rooting 3 or 4 others of a similar species, [not enopla though], but this was done in the warmer days of automn. I did this being very wary avoiding to water as much as I could....

In any case, they seem to be growing now anyways, so I will proceed when whether allows...

My central 'problem' was whether it's a good idea to try to root now, as the whether [and temps] are getting worse. But yeah, I know what to do Smile

Also, yeah, like with various other cacti, E.enopla and other similar have their more intense colour in new spines which gradually fade with time , but it's wrong to say it's only the fresh growth has red spines. The spine color stays for much longer.

Last but not least, intensity, quantity and quality of sun play a role in the phenotype and color of spines.... more sun, best sun = prettier spines, but this is a generalization [not limited to euphorbia enopla group] made up from my small experience....

I would love to see your plants Olga
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 am

Sure I'll take a picture of him for you later, it's raining so I'll just wait until it clears up.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 am

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation P1000128

Here is the other species 4 newer cuts, one older and the motehr plant, the flanagani label is wrong, flanagani is a type of medusa euphorbia. Sorry for that. The 4 newer ones haven't yet taken, I haven't watered at all, mybe I should.

I took several cuttings off the dense enopla of the first pic and it bled munificiently, this milk sure smells like something toxic/chemical!
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 am

These are my two oldest euphorbias. You'll notice the one that's lost his spine colour in pic 2

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3273

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3277
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

Here's a closer look (don't forget to click on the thumbnails)

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3279
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Hey thanks for the photos, these are great plants! Especially the big old multistemmed one.

Do they come from the same mother plant??

The first plant doesn't look at all like an enopla. It resembles more the one in my last photo which I have propagated. I love this whole group but I dunno how many [species] of them exist. I reckon a lot. The second huge old plant might be indeed enopla, but it's strange it lacks the red spine colour [it's towards the end of the season in oz, right?], even in the last growth. It's one of the three:
1) neither of them is enopla
2) indeed the older plants develop increased fading in spine colour
3) not all enoplas are so bright red spined

Also, what sun intake are they having? This sure might play a role...

You said these are the oldest/biggest you have. This means you have propagated them? How man different strains do you have? Share more photos if you don't mind, I love them...
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 pm

here is a couple i took pictures of in the abandoned cacti garden in south australia
Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_unknowneuphorbiaEuphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_Euphorbiaresiniferacactusgarden
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm

wow this is impressive!
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I took a cutting of the one on the right and it has taken root just recently but took ages. the mother plant was massive probably 10 feet across.

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:45 am

Hi Mutant, I don't have heaps of old plants, only about ten or fiteen and those are the oldest euphorbias. All my others are newish. I started collecting very briefly about ten or twelve years ago but had no space for them when I moved out so my parents have been looking after them for me. I have only just started collecting again about six months ago.
The first one is not an enopla, I just posted a pic so you could see the size at that age, I have probably had that one eight years or longer but it was in shade and has just started growing a lot recently.
The second one I purchased from my local cactus nursery when I first started to collect, and I am sure it is an enopla, and it should be at least ten. It had the red spines when it was young, and it was very small, I probably got it in a ten cm pot and it was multi-branched. I'd say it's been repotted at least six times now, and it has always been in the driveway in full sun.
I did ask one of the people at the nursery about the extreme woodiness recently and she said it was normal for a plant of that age.
I have some other fairly recently purchased euphorbias I can show you some pics of if you'd like to see them, they're all starting to pup now which is interesting, I bought some small rooted ones online.
I have just cut one branch off the big one to grow a couple for Mum and they seem to be going okay.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks for detailed answer, really appreciated... Yeah sure, I would like to see photos of the young when you have time.

Darren, I think they are best to propagate in their later, cooler, colder growing season, which is towards the automn for us which is cooler, If you have winter [=cold weather] in summer, I suppose your 'automn' is coming in spring, right?
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Yes I do go on a bit Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Icon_biggrin These are ones I have just gotten recently, I am sure to get more soon

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3296

trigonas, the one on the right I just managed to get to root and put leaves out, I have killed legions before him...

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3297

This was a freebie from a seller, no idea what sort and it is refusing to root, but showing no signs of decline three months in

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3300

green elf, they can look more attractive than this poor guy, he was starved when I got him

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3301
not 100% sure, just got that at a market

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3305

greenwayi

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3306

aeurignosa, just branching now

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3307

unknown, new growth

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3308

common name albino corn cob

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3310

valida, these look amazing when they get the woody stalks after they flower, this one is quite young

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Th_IMG_3311

pineapple plant
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:46 am

Quote :
Yes I do go on a bit
lol, I do too, that makes us the best of the bunch Smile

Great entries, great variety.... Some are not columnar at all and some are not mini, but still , nice plants.

that freebie you mentioned was given to me as a gift [unrooted] but I killed it, most likely because the guy that gave it to me said it roots very easy, put in the water Razz

Also the one you got at the market seems like it would like a bit more light, I think..

I like this plant, it's like a cactus that got driven over.

aeurignosa, yeah, I know and like this euphorbia. Want to get one some time...

I planted the cuttings I took from enopla to minipots with perlite and cactus soil 50-50. I will be giving updates.

But lets stick to the mini columnars! medusas and great columnars have to be excluded, and maybe we should make new thread on them [I got a couple of other ones like medusas too]
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah we should probably start a new thread in the succulents section, technically they're not cacti Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Icon_biggrin
Water??? If it ever roots I will let you know, it just hangs about and falls over once in a while Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation   Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation Empty

Back to top Go down

Euphorbia 'enopla group' propagation
Page 1 of 1