Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Buying seeds - Page 2 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Buying seeds - Page 2 Empty

Buying seeds

Go down 
+12
cooky173
lewis
cactuscook
Navajoa
WoodDragon
Hellonasty
Darren
shortly
TasV
watertrade
Lachy
Olga
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I think I contacted them specifically regarding O. denegrii.

I took from it I can import whatever I like as long as the seeds pass visual inspection, are on the ICON accepted names and the seeds are not CITES protected.

I'm pretty sure that any non habitat seed is not protected under CITES.
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Just as a follow up.

I bought 10 different seeds all on the ICON database from Mesagarden. They ended up coming in two different lots as I had to wait for a CITES permit. Both packages were marked identically, and declared as seeds of ornamentals. The first package was opened and inspected, had a brochure from AQIS put in to state they checked it, but didn't remove anything.

The second wasn't even checked.

Both packages did have the seed packets numbered, and a printout stating what numbers refererred to which species.

RE: the CITES permit. Some seed does require a CITES permit, on Mesagardens list it is marked with a #. A permit is $10, whether you buy 5 seeds or 5000.

I've had excellent germination of what I've sowed so far as well.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 pm

I know this is an old thread but it had some useful information and my question is relevant.

I'm looking at buying some seed and I've looked at mesa garden but I need to pay $45 for a phyto certificate! So I'm looking elsewhere for now.

I've looked at http://www.cactus-seeds.com/ before but there is no way to contact the guy.
Is he still in operation. It says his children now run the business; there's a list of seeds but that's all that is on the site.

Sounds like if I order seeds from Koehres I don't need a phyto?
Same with SuccSeed?

Any info about your dealings with these people would be great + germination rates Very Happy

I'm just looking to buy copiapoa seeds especially from the cinerea complex.

Thanks. Mitch.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Mitchell i purchased a heap of copiapoa seed from mesa i actually did a swap for some unwanted seed that i had. Of 30 packets of seed only one was confiscated the rest made it through. The copiapoa seed did not need a photo certificate but all the ariocarpus seed which was sent a week after did need a certificate the certificate was only $15 from memory.
I planted the copiapoa seed several days ago so cant report on germination yet. Many friends of mine have been buying seed from mesa and kohres for years and are very happy with results.
Regarding cactus-seeds.com i have heard mixed results from 0 germination to average results what you should think is how old the seed is and this guy who is retired and spends lots of time abroad makes you wonder if he still buys seed to replace old stock or is it old seed that he has not sold yet. Based on what i have been told i personally would not buy from him.
I would try kohres or mesa if i were you.
I have plenty of seed available myself mostly turbinicarpus, ariocarpus, astrophytums and sulcorebutias though there are many others also but no copiapoa all are fresh oldest being collected around 18 months ago.
If your interested pm me.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Really appreciate the offer but for the moment I am only after Copiapoa seed.
I'll keep you in mind if I want to buy some seeds other than Copiapoa.
Wouldn't have any Eriosyce would you?

So the phyto certificate is only for plants listed as CITES 1 or FCLs? The phyto now costs $45! Big increase from $15.
I will definately place an order with Mesa if I don't need to pay for a phyto.

This is what it says on Mesa's order form:
Export papers: phytosanitary [$45.]; CITES 1 [$12 per shipment.]

I've spent a bit of time and worked out which copiapoas I want to buy from them. There's $40 of seed I want to buy (the ones I want to buy always turn out to be the expensive ones).

From the aqis website:
i) Each seed lot must be accompanied by an acceptable* seed analysis certificate from an AQIS approved ISTA accredited seed testing laboratory.

Mesa garden will work all this out right?
So much effort to import seeds but I guess the regulations are a good thing to stop Australia's environment from further peril.

I've got several varieties of cinerea/columna-alba/gigantea on my list (my fav. copiapoas)

Thanks for the reply and the info on these sellers.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm

I just had a shipment of Astrophytum seeds from Germany (not koehres) get snagged and burned by AQIS. Apparantly, the species was not marked clearly on the seed bag, so 400 seeds got toasted in Canberra. They sent a 'nice' little letter saying that the seller should have labelled them better, and that it would cost me $60+ to have them sent back, or they could burn them for free. Since I already was NOT going to get the seeds anyhow, and the seller wasn't going to refund for them, why should I pay extra to still not have them anyways?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 pm

That's a bummer. Hope they weren't too expensive.

Maybe it was his fault but maybe it wasn't. Who knows how it was unclearly labelled, packaging could have insufficient data, might have poor handwritting; who knows. But thats a reason a good reputation gets you places. Word of mouth works wonders and I've heard good reports of Mesa gardens so I will be buying off them and not this guy.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I am glad that AQIS is so vigilant about preventing Superkabutos from spreading like cane toads. I can rest comfortably, as I sit here eating fruit that came from who knows where before it was sent to NZ and rerouted here.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

All frustrations aside, anyone know the proper way to import seeds that are CITES listed?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Does anyone know what has happened to Cactus-Seeds.com ? Going by the site he's sold the business, but I the new owner doesn't seem to be annswering emails ?? Anyone dealt with the new owner at all ??
Back to top Go down
Tao2

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

hi .........just skimmed through...........so these may have been mentioned already..............i've tried a few seed houses with mixed results...............fresh seed is so important.............some places sell you stuff thats more trouble than its worth....big time and money wasters.....only good for trash................the best germination results I have had were from
succseed
lists new seed................also
cactus-aventures

list the date of when seed arrives.........your'll have to search their www address...I'm not allowed to post links for 7 days............a good electric seed propagator is worth its weight.....you can cram a lot of seeds into a $70 shoebox size machine...sit on you living room bench ...so you always have company   Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds   Buying seeds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying seeds
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2