Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Would you pay... Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Would you pay... Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Would you pay... Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Would you pay... Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Would you pay... Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Would you pay... Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Would you pay... Empty

Would you pay...

Go down 
+4
MichaelCactus
KanJe
Hellonasty
tripsis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tripsis

tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 pm

I've asked a couple of people this, but thought I'd ask in a forum of dedicated cactus enthusiasts.

So, would you pay $750 for a Lophophora williamsii which has 16 heads and is over 30 years old? It is in pretty perfect condition with all of it tufts of wool erect (not matted at all). I don't have any pics of it, but it's pretty big.

I went to have a look at it today, but couldn't bring myself to fork out that much, but I'm still thinking about it.

It's comforting to think that if i didn't get it, in thirty years I would have several of similar size and beauty, but I can't help but think about what this one would then look like in thirty years. It's older than me!

Last edited by tripsis on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 12:04 am

In a word NO, but I don't mean this in a monetary sense.

To me a plant of such awe inspiring proportion is only as good as the time you have spent with it ! You will never really appreciate it if you buy a plant like this, I saw you are growing from seed this is how you will really appreciate the plant. Stick with these seedlings for a few years and they will reward you far more than the mature plant ever could.

HN
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:46 am

Thats a good answer HN. Raising a baby from conception is more rewarding then having a 30 year old man move in to your house. Even if he is awe inspiring to be around.

On the other hand, if you look after it well it could be a prize plant in your collection in 10 - 15 years. You could get it to a size that would be impossible to achieve growing from seed in one lifetime.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
tripsis

tripsis

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 am

My thoughts exactly Kanje.

I do agree with what HN has said and think it's very valid, but in 30+ years, my seed grown cacti may be the same size as the one we're talking about, but then how big would the 60+yo old one be? That plant would always be 30 years in front of everything else.

This decision is not coming easily...
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:41 am

The decisions easy for me, no. I don't have $750! But, i see your's and HN's points, but i couldn't justify spending close to 1k on a plant.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:20 pm

The question is to me what is your passion. addicts spend ALOT of money on there passion, a whiskey drinker could spend 1k on a real old bottle likewise a wine drinker. but in such scenarios there is always the other side you dont have a vineyard and abarrel to keep it in for 30yrs. If it is your serious passion and you dont have the care about money or a loan. then buy it. If your questioning yourself it seems to me you have other priorities, poop if you like cars you'd buy a 30yr car if it was only $750. I have spent the money numerous times on cacti. But you need to be able to accept the loss if they perish!!
Having said my 2 cents I agree with the above statements about appreciation. You are only rewarded by new growth and not what is already done. my half a cm loph excite me more most of the year the few big ones I own are really only fantastic when they flower
$750 for 16heads is way over priced( Need a Photo ). I paid somewhere around $200 for this one and I love it
Would you pay... DSC00321
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah, $750 for the Loph above would be overpriced, but it isn't a young caespitosa, it's an old standard williamsii. The one you are holding has only one mature head, this has around 10 or 11 mature heads. You can get caespitosas with 16 heads a quarter of the size of that, so head count isn't really much to go off. The fact it's over 30 years old and it near-perfect condition is a much better measure.

Of course you're right, addicts do spend more money than that on various things. Lophs are by far my favourite cactus and I am very passionate about them, but $750 is still a lot of money. I've spend far more than that in total, but not on a single plant.

Anyway, everyones opinions in this thread have been very much appreciated. I'm leaning towards getting it, but still not decided for sure. If I do get it, I'll post pics for sure.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

Well if I had the money and I was in love with it, and thought the price was right, I probably would.
You only live once Would you pay... Icon_smile And I never think amazing plants are a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 2:03 pm

If you want something bad enough ...money is no object,$$$= <3<3<3
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Hehe, I spent $2300 on a green house before I got my first car. Would you pay... Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:44 am

my philosophy is...can u live with the loss if it dies? If you can then go for it, if you can't then don't, lol. Have you tried haggling with the person?
Kanje...good to see u had your priorities right, lol.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:57 am

KanJe wrote:
Hehe, I spent $2300 on a green house before I got my first car. Would you pay... Icon_rolleyes

Hehehe that is gold KanJe pure gold Smile
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Vicky, I asked whether he would do it for cheaper, but he said no. He doesn't need to sell it, but has several already and is getting old, so has put a price on it that he sees as fair. He's pretty happy to keep it, but if someone offers him the money, he'll sell it.

As far as your questions whether I could handle it dying...well it depends how soon after I bought it. If some years later it dies, then yes, it would be very sad, but it would have given me much happiness in that time. If weeks later, then no, but that's like anything really. You don't buy things like this with the expectation that a few weeks later they're gone.

Anyway, I think I'll get it. It's just too amazing to pass up,
I'd forever be regretting it otherwise. It's an incredibly beautiful plant and money is just money after all.

Nice Kanje, that's the way! Would you pay... Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 am

Nice one. Who says money can't buy companionship.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

I expect we'll see some photos when he arrives Would you pay... Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 am

No, despite what I said, I decided against it. It was just a bit too much. It's a beautiful plant, but I'll have ones similar in 30 years myself. Would you pay... Icon_smile

He was pretty happy not to sell it in the end anyway as he wanted to keep it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Would you pay... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you pay...   Would you pay... Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you pay...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: American & Mexican Cacti-
Jump to: