Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Empty

Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted

Go down 
+4
Miranda
KanJe
Hellonasty
Eric clough
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric clough

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-09-05

PostSubject: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi I am trying to get a collection going, I am am on a disability pension and thought this a good hobbie to get into as I am stuck at home a fair bit, so if anyone can help me out that would be great.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 pm

I take note of your situation but that is a big ask from a brand new member. Show some interest in the forum and contribute....then the plants will come Smile

HN
Back to top Go down
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, I will try and contribute, but not sure I have a lot to offer as I am just starting out. Have been reading through trying to learn a little.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Try starting some cacti from seed, it is challenging but very rewarding. Seeds can be found cheap or for free Smile
Back to top Go down
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 3:11 pm

After reading through the forums I have decided to give that a go. Have posted a message asking for advice on that in the forums. Thanks
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Welcome, what types of cacti take your interest Eric?
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the Welcome. At this stage Mammillaria and Ferocatus have caught my eye.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 10:08 pm

There some cool South American cacti that might be a bit easier to grow in your area to start off with. Trichocereus for example will do fine outside all year round. They're impossible to kill here. Touch wood.
If it's not too much trouble and your ever in the city some time, visit queen vic market. There is an awesome cacti stall there that has a good variety.
I started from going to nurseries and buying anything that made my jaw drop.

Hellonasty is right about coming onto a forum immediately asking for plants. So hang about and learn some stuff in the mean time. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks are there seeds available for this type? I looked on cactus -seeds .com but was unable to find any.
Back to top Go down
Miranda

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Eric if you are able to get to Croydon Market on a Sunday or Monday there are a couple of stalls which often have a small number of cacti for sale for just a few dollars, I purchased a little echinopsis for $1 just recently. Unfortunately most are unmarked and often the stall owners aren't sure what they are either, but if you want some cheap cacti to get started it would be worth a visit.

Good luck, I have only just started collecting cacti myself and am finding it a very interesting hobby, it's amazing how much there is to learn. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks I have an appointment at Maroondah on Monday so I will call past the maket and see what they have.
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Most local markets will have numerous people selling cacti, i found most my collection at markets.
Also, Big W, Bunnings and etc will all have Mammillaria and usually Ferocactus if they stock Cacti + Succulents.
Back to top Go down
Eric clough

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have limited funds being on a pension so I think growing from seed will be my best option and will give me a challenge.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 pm

i have some pups or offsprings of mammilaria and copiapoa id be happy to share if u are able to pay for the postage. (im also a pensioner).
things are a little hectic for me now so it will take me a while to get them together but if youre interested pm me in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Bobblybook

Bobblybook

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Eric clough wrote:
Thanks are there seeds available for this type? I looked on cactus -seeds .com but was unable to find any.

Look under Echinopsis, there are some classic tricho's under that name. I just bought a bunch of tricho pachanoi seeds from this site but they're listed under Echinopsis.
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:34 pm

I have heaps of mammillaria prolifera "yellow spined form" X self seed if you would like some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted   Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Cacti or Cuttings Wanted
Page 1 of 1