Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Astro seedlings Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Astro seedlings Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Astro seedlings Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Astro seedlings Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Astro seedlings Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Astro seedlings Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Astro seedlings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cactusboy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

I repotted my Astrophytum seedlings on Tuesday into much more spacious pots. They were so crammed, about 7-9 seedlings per 5 cm square pot, so much so that some of the Onzuka's were getting a bit tall. Hopefully this will give them a growth spurt for the summer ahead. They are about 14 months old

Astro seedlings Superkabutoseedlings

Astro seedlings Onzukaseedlings

Astro seedlings Onsuka2seedlings

Also repotted 2 caput's that were sharing a pot with 2 other kabutos but one one of them rotted. Evil or Very Mad
They were growing so well too. The good news (I hope) is that I grafted one of the tubercles which was about 5cm long. The other tubercle started to rot right through even though it was still quite turgid.

I cut the good tubercle into 4 sections and grafted two sections onto one Tricho pachanoi and one each onto pereskiopsis. No photos yet as their still a bit fragile and in their humidity chamber.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Seedlings are looking good Cactusboy, There is some good variety.
I look forward to seeing some of your grafting attempts.
I hope they work out, I know the stress and worry your feeling. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:08 pm

WOW. Nice Seedlings Smile
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

realy, i see some realy promising seedling! especialy on the cabuto's pot!
an the onzuka's pot the quadricostatu are realy interesting!
Back to top Go down
cactusboy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 pm

There are a few good ones there and I was so tempted to graft some of the more heavy flecking ones but I think I will leave them be. I hope they turn out to look like what they are suppose to.

These were my first attempt at growing Astros from seed and I only wish I had started growing them years earlier instead of concentrating on Arios. Would have sowed between 3000-4000 Ario seeds over the past few years with very little to show.

Here's my only remaining Astro caput-medusae from my first batch of 5 seeds sown about 14 months ago that I repotted the same day. Hope it survives because the seeds were not cheap. Could have probably bought the same size plant with what i paid for the seeds. Still have 4 very young ones (different source, cheaper seed) that are starting to show their first turbercle but I grafted one of those today.

Astro seedlings Astrophytumcaput-medusae

Also repotted these Arios a few days ago. They were sown in late 2005. Embarassed They are mostly fissuratus (on the left), hintonni (middle) and a couple of kotchs and Obregonias scattered about. That pots under two layers of 70% shade-cloth now with a couple of pots a retuses (same age) that really appreciate the filtered sunlight.

Astro seedlings Ariocarpusfissuratusseedlings3ye-1

A close-up

Astro seedlings Ariocarpusfissuratusseedlings3years
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:47 am

Too bad about the ario's, I find them a double edged sword so to speak. When small they require constant monitoring and they are effected by even slight changes in environment. On the other hand once they reach about 1.5 - 3 yrs, depending on sp and conditions, they do a 360 and no longer require any attention at all, I sometimes forget I have them Smile

Good to see another person with a good interest in Astro's, I really like the diversity and supernatural ability to hybrid them Smile

Good luck with your seedlings and keep us posted on their progression.

Also does the seeling in the first picture top row second from the left, look like it could be mildly variegated

HN
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 2:27 pm

The astros look great! Very Happy i really like the 3 ribbed myriostigma.
and nice Digitostigma too.
Back to top Go down
cactusjd

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings EmptyMon May 24, 2010 5:08 pm

wow baby astro's looking so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Astro seedlings Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Astro seedlings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astro seedlings   Astro seedlings Empty

Back to top Go down

Astro seedlings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Propagation: Seeds & Vegetative-
Jump to: