Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Not-o pics for the faint hearted.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Empty
PostSubject: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 8:36 am

These plants in the first few rows of pics are all doing their "thing" at the moment... just thought you might like to have a peek through the keyhole Smile
Their flowers are such bright happy offerings no matter the weather.
Which one is your favourite?

leninghausii. For some reason, his one hasn't flowered for me for a few years, so it's a welcome back!
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_leninghausii_1108 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_leninghausii_1108a

rutilans, (not to be confused with roseoluteus).
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_rutilans_1108a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_rutilans_1108b Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_rutilans_1108c Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_rutilans_1108d

submammulosus.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_submammulosus_1108a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_submammulosus_1108b Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_submammulosus_1108c

Noid, concinnus, and floricomus whatever that one is these days.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactussp_1108a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_concinnus_1108a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_floricomus_1108a

There are more coming, but just to whet the appetite, here are some shots of others taken over the past few years.

roseoluteus, (not to be confused with rutilans).
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_roseoluta_flowers Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_roseolutea_fl Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_roseolutea2

uebelmannianus, yellow.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Noto_uebelmannianus_yellow1 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Noto_uebelmannianus_yellow

uebelmannianus, purple.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_werneri_flower Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_werneri

noid.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notosp_1107_b Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notosp_1107_a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_sp1083_1007_b
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_sp1083_1007_a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_sp_0907

haselbergii.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Brasilicactus_haselbergii Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii_0807a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii2 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii

graessneri.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii_ssp_graessneri2 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii_ssp_graessneri1 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_haselbergii_ssp_graessneri

herteri
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Noto_herteri_GP Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_herteri_220NATK_0108 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_herteri_0107a

horstii.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_horstii_0408 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_horstii_2007_c Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_horstii_2007_d

warasii
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_warasii_1206_a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_warasii_1206_c Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_warasii_1206_b Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_warasii

schumannianus.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_schumannianus_1207 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_schumannianus_1206_b Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_schumannianus_1206_a Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Noto_schumannianus

scopa, and scopa ssp. succineus.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_scopa Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Noto_Scopa_NAtkins Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_scopa_ssp_succinea2 Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_scopa_ssp_succinea

magnifica, this almost 30 y.o. plant in the first pic is a shy flowerer for some reason, but produces heaps of pups... I have given heaps away over the years.
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Notocactus_magnifica Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Th_Parodia_Notocactus_magnificus_0907

Enjoy, CP

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:06 pm

they seem prone to getting things wrong with them. i remember Michael said one of his is cresting.
this is a mammulosa i think, first i thought it was cresting now its doing something else weird, possibly some form of monstrose:
few months ago:
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Freak_10

now:
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Noto_010\
its growing more ribs and some are joined together.

and my N.magnificus also produces heaps of offsets but its cheating:
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Noto_011
Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Noto_012
its a monstrose mutation called caespitosa..w/ offsets everywhere, even under the soil.. but this specimen is even more monstrose than is normal for this mutation, its produced a white fluffy ball of growth..and so i can make my fortune on ebay. Wink
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 pm

That is an extraordinary bit of growth Lewis, You might be able to make your fortune several times over if you can continue to propagate from it! Smile
I've never had any go monstrose, but I have had a few just decide to stop growing, go into decline and die without so much as a "kiss my jacksie"

CP
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Some really great plants there, CP. And those "freaks" have piqued my interest too, Lewis. You've gotta try and propagate that magnifica. You could have the super kabuto of the noto world on your hands there. Wink

Tell me now... how can one differentiate between warasii and magnifica? I've seen a *lot* of plants sold as magnifica, but bear more resemblence to warasii. Is there a reliable way to tell the two apart? Am I getting mislabelled plants or are they noids?
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 am

Lachy wrote:

Tell me now... how can one differentiate between warasii and magnifica? I've seen a *lot* of plants sold as magnifica, but bear more resemblence to warasii. Is there a reliable way to tell the two apart? Am I getting mislabelled plants or are they noids?

I wish I could answer that, someone once told me that magnifica has a bluish epidermis and that the areoles are much closer together giving an almost continuous line down the ridge of the rib... as you can see by comparing the pics, this appears to be so. I always thought warasii was solitary... but I've been told that is not necessarily true. My warasii is approaching 30yo and is still solitary, it is about 9cm across the stem and 18cm tall -nary a pup in sight.

CP
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 am

Cheers for that, CP. Y'see, my "magnifica" looks very much like your warasii in terms of colour and spination, yet is pupping from the base...

Personally, I reckon I've got a mislabelled warasii and that the species description should be altered to "mostly solitary, occasionally offsetting".
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 am

Hey CPC,

Really nice notos you got there. I especially like the schumannianus...and the haselbergii,
both are real nice.

Lewis,

That plant does look like the beginning of proper monstrose. The skin is hard to see but it looks a dark red or maroon ?? that right ?
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 am

Hellonasty wrote:

Lewis,

That plant does look like the beginning of proper monstrose. The skin is hard to see but it looks a dark red or maroon ?? that right ?
yes in some parts maroon and some parts greenish.yes, difficult to see because the epidermis of the growth is obscured by tiny white spines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not-o pics for the faint hearted.   Not-o pics for the faint hearted. Empty

Back to top Go down

Not-o pics for the faint hearted.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: South American Cacti-
Jump to: