HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
My latest addition - TBM Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

My latest addition - TBM

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

My latest addition - TBM Empty
PostSubject: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 11:35 am

Hey, all...

Got a few cacti from Frasers nursery in Perth - they are closing down, and had a tender process for their specimen section... I picked up an 8" astro ornatum and a golden barrel as well... will add pics of those later...

This is my trophy though... A little scabby in parts, but this will grow out... you can see how healthy the new growths are...

My latest addition - TBM 0807_010
My latest addition - TBM 0807_011
My latest addition - TBM 0807_012

By far the best in the collection now, must be 20 odd years old - has propagated heaps of bubs by the looks of it...
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 12:54 pm

What a beast!!! Good score gilligan. Lucky bugger Smile

lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 2:06 pm

yikes!
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 3:45 pm

that sucker is huge!!!! people tend to over think the scabs...but tbms just do it, so its all good Smile

amazing plant, you scored big!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:40 pm

I love it!!! but what opuntoid is it?

CP
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:55 pm

It's not an Opuntoid at all it's Trichocereus bridgesii var. monstrosus aka 'The Penis Plant' or 'TBM'. A very collectable monster and one of my favourites. The one above must be fairly old as they are pretty slow growing.

Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 pm

What a boomer! ive never seen a live TBM, but thats gotta be the fattest looking one i've seen yet (in a pic anyway!) A fine score!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Nice score Gilligan Smile

Trig you are oh so right about them being slow growing. Not sure how many years I have had mine but it was one of my first cacti and house paint was dripped on it over 5 years ago and its still there Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 pm

trigonus wrote:
It's not an Opuntoid at all it's Trichocereus bridgesii var. monstrosus aka 'The Penis Plant' or 'TBM'. A very collectable monster and one of my favourites. The one above must be fairly old as they are pretty slow growing.

I knew that, ...I was just testing Wink

Cereusly though, I've never seen TBM before, so it's a newie to me. I think it's a ripper!

CP
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 9:40 pm

As I said, they are one of my favourites. Worth collecting if you come across any.

That's funny Betty because the first one I got (I have a few now) got blue paint on it and there are still traces on there 5 years later Rolling Eyes

Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 pm

A good find. Now she needs some TLC Smile Looks like it has been over watered for much of its life. If that's the pot and soil it came in I would repot it with a nice free draining mix. Check it for bugs too.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:03 am

Grin. Nice sleuthing...

It was in the ground, but yes, overwatered... I took all the soil off and have put it in a pot with 25% coarse riversand and 75% cactus mix, so the drainage is good...

Gave it a good mancozebing as well... just in case there was anything left from the old soil on the roots.. the plant itself had a few snails, but not any more. lol
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 10:00 pm

OH WOW, we also got a good size one from Rudolph Scholz at Meredith when they were selling off stock. Had no idea what we were collecting at the time and had a trailer load of various plants for a very fair price. as we researched our finds guess what . a huge TMB. a bit worse for wear but has produced some nice new growths over the 18months or so since we bought it. Rudolph told us we had a very nice selection of plants picked out but as I said we had absolutely no idea what we had at at the time. If you get those pieces rooted they will make nice plants in time. I shorten the spines on the base section to fit them into a smaller container and they root in pretty quick time. Great shopping Gilligan!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 pm

Nice plant... I personally think you should throw it in the garden with some good soil for cacti and see what happens. You wouldnt want to loose that character.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My latest addition - TBM   My latest addition - TBM Empty

Back to top Go down

My latest addition - TBM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: South American Cacti-
Jump to: