HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Trichocereus bridgesii variagata

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Empty
PostSubject: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Img0417st8

There ya go trig, thought ya might like a squiz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 1:41 pm

drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool

I take it that is one of your seed grown bridgies? How old is it? That's just freakin' awesome mate, hopefully be some going around in a couple of years Wink

lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Nice! Smile
i like the way it was originally green and then decided to become variegated.
is the top growth completely variegated as in albino? that could be a bit of a worry. i do see a shade of green though fortunately. is the other side like this too?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Beautiful PD. Thats one of the sexiest trichos i've ever seen Smile

It almost looks like it is turning a slightly lime colour at the top ? or is that just the shot ?

HN
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 2:13 pm

i thought that too. don't worry it could be good because its green/chlorophyll and you don't want completely variegated growth unless you want to graft it.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 3:29 pm

The top is completely yellow, although like a few of you mentioned you can sort of see a lime green colour coming thru.

Yeh trig its a seed grown babee, it sort of stalled for AGES and then when she started growing again it was all yellow. At first i was worried it was just sick but it has slowly but surely been putting on healthy new growth. Seed was put down 28.5.06 and some of its brethren are easy over 30cms.

I think the bottom portion of green is enough to keep it going and i suspect a lil bit of energy is being produced in the tip hence the slight lime colour you can see. I dont want this plant to be grafted unless it is really necessary and yes trig, with some patience and luck this strain should be doing the rounds in future. Best not to count my chickens too early tho, it could lose the colour and go back to green as it grows, although the trait should stay with it.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:14 pm

PD,
simply amazing - hoping that it gets all mottled with dark green next - (don't really care so long as it grows for you)
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 12:57 pm

very, very nice. what do i have to do to get in line for a piece of this? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Awsome PD! Hopefully it does get some Chlorophyl back in it.
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 pm

That is a realy stunning plant
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 pm

There's two camps on the ACF - those that grow Trichocereus, and they all want be be PD's new friend (and his awesome variegate)...

and those who love the globular button style Mexican cacti and are flummoxed by Hanazona's mind blowing collection...

Me I want them both - but I'm a cactaphile!

These two guys can really grow cacti and have pushed the boundaries of cacti growing in their own seperate fields.

I think that ACF is lucky to have them, and their invaluable knowledge!.

Well done guys!
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 2:29 am

This plant fascinates me.

Given that it had a start of normal chlorophyllous growth, as evidenced by the green bottom, there must have been a mutation in a cell 'dead centre' in the apical meristem.

But the chances of one mutated cell taking over the whole of an actively chugging meristematic mileau must be vanishingly small (a mutagenic challenge might affect more tissue though). This, and the fact that it appears 'lime' rather than straight yellow would seem to imply that there is a chimeric combination of achlorophyllous and normal cells in the apex, which I reckon is a much more reasonable option in a new seedling tip. I could see that one of each cell type might divide to produce an alterating sequence of neighbouring daughter cells, giving the colour that we see.

A photomicrograph of the photosynthetic tissue would be instructive. And if the aureolar tissues arise from individual cells as the plant grows, rather than from patches of chimeric tissue that differentiate in response to hormone signals, then any pups from such aureolae would be either green or yellow. I'm not intimately acquainted with cactus lateral meristematic differentiation however, but even so I would be surprised if aureolae orginated from differentiating single cells. Something to watch out for though...

Oh for a needle biopsy! study
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 8:05 am

That just blew my head 8|
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus bridgesii variagata   Trichocereus bridgesii variagata Empty

Back to top Go down

Trichocereus bridgesii variagata
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: South American Cacti-
Jump to: