Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
it's a friendly addiction Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
it's a friendly addiction Empty

it's a friendly addiction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: it's a friendly addiction   it's a friendly addiction EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 pm

For the past few years now I've been battling with several addictions, coffee, sugar, tobacco, teev, weed and cacti. The drugs are bad but I can give em up, I just gotta have a little self control.
The cacti on the other hand is life consuming. the cacti gods indoctrinate one through mesmerizing natural patterns and spines so dangerous and otherworldy they simply demand respect. If possible I'd mainline cactaceous species straight into my brain meats. If I go for more than a few weeks without purchasing myself a new specimen, I get terrible withdrawal symptoms. I can't eat, I can't sleep, i shake, every time i close my eyes all i can see is cactus, every thought, cactus. If I don't get that new plant I feel as though my head might explode.
Anyway. enough of my rambling. The point I'm trying to express is. How addictive is the cacti collecting game? How much of your hard earned cash goes straight into the garden (or a pot)? Is it possible to beat the addiction? or is it just not worth it?
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: it's a friendly addiction   it's a friendly addiction EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:34 pm

Prier I can understand where you are coming from. The thing that has stopped me in my tracks was the loss of a few cacti in the last week or so. I have attended to them with loving care and followed advice on how to look after them but the call of the angels was stronger Sad . So I am curtailing my purchasing habits until I can at least get my collection through one winter.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: it's a friendly addiction   it's a friendly addiction EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Don't worry Vicki, there is usually a couple of losses during the (evil, nasty, beastly) winter period, especially when cultivating new genera that we are a little unfimiliar with, try and see it as a learning experience rather then a negative aspect of the hobby - best damn hobby in the world!!

Even the most experienced growers will sometimes lose a plant or two, it does happen.

I know what you are on about prier, I think we suffer a similiar afflication - best damn affliction in the world Wink currently I am trying to stand back and evaluate what I HAVE, what I NEED and what I WANT as well as trying to cut back on buying more. You think it's gonna work?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: it's a friendly addiction   it's a friendly addiction EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Oh and...once those cacti get their hooks into you, there is no turning back...EVER Twisted Evil

Once a cactophile always a cactophile.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: it's a friendly addiction   it's a friendly addiction Empty

Back to top Go down

it's a friendly addiction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Around The Fire-
Jump to: