Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Epithelantha micromeris Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Epithelantha micromeris

Go down 
AuthorMessage
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Epithelantha micromeris Empty
PostSubject: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 4:39 pm

hi all...
I got about 60 seeds of my plants and I have sown them today using the baggie method, jut wondering how long these guys like to be in high humidity, are they more like lophs and can start to be hardened off around the 4 month mark? or are they more like arios with 12 months in the bag?

cheers
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 pm

San Rainbow I have not sown micromeris but I think its like any cacti seedlings you do with them what suits you best.

The longest I have left any in the bag is probably 3 months. I usually start opening the bag at 2 months or earlier depending on the time of the year.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 pm

4 months sound right. they can be gradually weaned off the high humidity by opening the bag little by little and ultimately removing it.
i am in the process of growing them from seed, seems to relatively easy but rather slow. germination was not that good, even though the seed was straight off the parent plant. hopefully yours will be better.
good luck!
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:02 pm

San,
these little babies take a while to grow - slower than arios and astros, but they are not SLOW like blossfeldia etc. I would leave them in baggies for 3 - 4 months, and then let them loose onto the cusp of an appraoching summer slowly.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 1:27 pm

thanks guys, I will keep you all posted on how they go...

cheers
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 6:14 pm

One of my favourite cacti Very Happy i get heaps of seed off my plants but surprisingly poor germination, even though it is straight off the plant. hopefully yours do better. the seedlings themselves seem to be relatively problem-free, but slow growing. they should be up in 2 weeks max.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 pm

lewis wrote:
One of my favourite cacti Very Happy i get heaps of seed off my plants but surprisingly poor germination, even though it is straight off the plant. hopefully yours do better. the seedlings themselves seem to be relatively problem-free, but slow growing. they should be up in 2 weeks max.

yea I have had poor germ rates with a previous batch to, the seed was fresh of the plant as well... wonder why scratch
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 6:49 pm

I had fresh seed from mine last year and got none to germinate Epithelantha micromeris Dontkn10
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 7:12 pm

hmm maybe the fact that it is self fertile means that there is no cross pollination and seed viability is minimal. like with lophophora willaimsii, it is self fertile but you get a better crop with a cross pollination. although cross pollinating epithelantha micromeris with its' smallest flower in the entire cactus family would be a chore!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 7:14 pm

That's if you actually get to see them lol

Last edited by parrotsheaven on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 7:16 pm

indeed, might need to get some those magnify goggles Shocked
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 am

I've just plants 25 of the little buggers, after having them in a drawer for 18 months.

Frustratingly, one of my 14 month twins decided to tip the container on its side when I wasn't looking, and now the propagating mix is piled on one side of the container. Even more frustratingly, 2 seedlings showed up after a week, but I'm too afraid of disurbing the ones I can see, to dig around and see if there are other sprouting ones buried under the mix.

Why couldn't my little monster have have tipped over the macrogonus seeds? At least he left the willies alone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epithelantha micromeris   Epithelantha micromeris Empty

Back to top Go down

Epithelantha micromeris
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Propagation: Seeds & Vegetative-
Jump to: