Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Empty

Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
keepgrowing

keepgrowing

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-11-11

PostSubject: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:22 pm

So I willingly admit I know very little about sowing seedlings but I thought I would give it a go and try a few varieties, those being Epithelantha Mircomeris V. Neomexicana, Astrophytum Asterias (unknown cultivar), Paradia Chrysacanthion, Hilderwinteria Colademonis and last but not least, some really cheap crappy looking 'random cactus seeds'. Now, all of the seeds are doing really well, but I have a question regarding the 'random cactus seeds' - are there any cacti/succ seeds that germinate to resemble a flower seedling? because quite a few have popped up looking very similar to flower seedlings or even, dare I say it, weeds. The curious thing is, I don't believe they are weeds, because I can still see the seed casing stuck to the end tip of a few leaves. Unless weeds have seed casing? I apologise if my terminology/and or explanation isn't the greatest. I hope to become more proficient as time goes on! study I will attempt to show you what I mean, I'll just go take a pic and post it in a bit.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I bought all the seeds on ebay, from various sellers. I contacted the seller who I bought the random seeds from and asked what types may have been included, and they informed me that they had no clue as they just buy the seeds from a wholesaler. A bit dodgy! I have learnt my lesson, you get what you pay for.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. cheers
Back to top Go down
keepgrowing

keepgrowing

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Hmm.. having trouble uploading my image. Trying to do it from desktop to here but when I hit 'host' the image doesn't load.
Back to top Go down
keepgrowing

keepgrowing

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Ah, okay, so I now see the "New members are not allowed to post external links for 7 days.." warning. I guess I'll just have to wait.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 pm

Hmmm... Didn't even know that block was there. Another way to post images is to resize the image to no bigger then 800 x 800 pixels. Then try uploading by using the host image and insert image buttons.

Check out this forum page second post. It has a bit more detail in how to post pics.

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t2041-greetings-from-queensland

Would love to see some pics.
Back to top Go down
Convergence

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2015-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 11:11 pm

welcome! honestly, i never figured out posting images here. Its so much easier in other forums. Good to know this 800x800 detail, but i hate linking from other sites.
Back to top Go down
keepgrowing

keepgrowing

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 am

Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Rsz_1i12

Aha! Thank you so much for letting me know how to correctly go about posting photos. As they say, a picture tells a thousand words!

So this is the result of my 'random cactus seeds'. Are they complete duds? What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 7:38 am

Certainly aren't any cacti I know of. They may be a succulent but my guess would be something more like a lettuce seedling or random weed that may have been in your soil mix.
Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Cactus seedling with branches - seems doubtful. Weirdest I've had is Euphorbia Obesa. It germinates as a tall stalk with two 'leaves'. Over time a ball forms between the 'leaves' which eventually turn downward and give it support.
Bought 'mixed cactus seed' from Ebay recently which looked like grit. Whatever it was it didn't like the humidity and rotted away.
Back to top Go down
keepgrowing

keepgrowing

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks Sneakycuttlefish, and thank you Eck. I think you guys are right, I doubt they're an extraordinary new species haha, most likely weeds. Thanks again for your insight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings   Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings Empty

Back to top Go down

Question regarding 'random cactus' seedlings
Page 1 of 1