Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Empty

Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hey,
As some of you know I've been battling mealy bugs for what seems like an eternity and think i spoke too soon the other day when i said they're gone.
My cacti have not been watered now for about 2 months however the mealys rage on.
So I'm left with the decision of doing a full soil soak with a high concentration of confidor and risking rot or waiting until spring to do another treatment.
Its bitterly cold in Melbourne some mornings down to 0 degrees.
The cacti are all inside but it still gets very cold.

Would like to know your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 10:13 pm

I'd be very wary of doing a soil soak now seeing as it's been so cold. You might get by with a spray early on a warmer day though, so maybe just try and keep things under control as much as possible until the warmer weather returns and you can really get stuck into them..
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 9:19 am

Thank you for the response.
I suspected this might be the case, guess I've got a better chance of them holding out from mealy attacks than rot. At least with mealy damage I've got half a chance of saving them come spring time.
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Walker,

Sorry to hear the mealeys are still going but not surprised as they can recover if you even miss only one or two. I found the only thing that worked for me was the Resolva granules from bunnings but these are only effective in spring when the plants are actively growing but they give a long period of protection. So assuming you inoculate every cactus and anything else around the garden that you even suspect may harbour them then you can break the cycle.

In winter I've used the Resolva spray which can be absorbed through the leaves and also kills them on contact. No soaking required so you shouldn't have any rot problems but you do have to get good coverage of the plant itself. It did a good job of getting rid of an infestation in a Daphne a couple of weeks ago as was worried they spread to the cacti.

Otherwise keep up the battle, use several different weapons and keep going several more times after you think you have gotten the last ones - they are worse than the arch villin in a horror move at coming back from the dead.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice hydro.
I'll pick up some resolva this week and try my hand at that.  Hoping winter ends early and the plants start growing so i can dose them up with systemics. All the smaller cacti are inside at the moment so at least that limits the chance of reinfection from external sources.  
The numbers of mealy are a fraction of what they were but i know first hand how quickly this can escalate.
I'm not giving up though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?   Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chances of rot. . Soil soak now in Melbourne?
Page 1 of 1